I am trying to make text based blackjack game. I already made :
- Card class which create new card based on integer
- Deck class which consists of Deck LinkedList populated by Card.

I also made 2 new LinkedLists for gambler and dealer. I already managed to remove elements from a shuffled Deck and add them to the new Lists using

gambler.addFirst(myApp.cards.removeFirst());

However I am stumped on how to count the total of the elements inside gambler and dealer without removing them. If I used peek() method, it only take the head of the lists.

Any help is appreciated.

doel

If you are using the Java Collections LinkedList class, you can use the size() method to determine the number of elements in the list.

I am wondering though, why not use a different collection to hold the cards? Would a Vector of ArrayList work just as well? Is there a compelling reason you are using LinkedList? You should examine your usage of a collection of objects and choose the collection implementation based upon your needs.

I an a newbie at Java so I don't know much about Vector of ArrayList. Anyway I solved it by creating a temp LinkedList. I don't know if it's the most effective solution......

[B]public [/B][B]static [/B][B]int[/B] countCards(LinkedList<Card> content){
[B]int[/B] total = 0;
LinkedList<Card> temp = [B]new[/B] LinkedList<Card>();
temp = content;

[B]while[/B] (!temp.isEmpty()){
total += temp.removeFirst().rank();
}

[B]return[/B] total;
}

Thanks again for all input.

I an a newbie at Java so I don't know much about Vector of ArrayList.

Ah, sorry that was a typo that shoud have read Vector or ArrayList. They are merely array-backed collections of objects that provide for iteration and also random access (insertion, removal, retrieval).

Anyway I solved it by creating a temp LinkedList. I don't know if it's the most effective solution......

[B]int[/B] total = 0;
LinkedList<Card> temp = [B]new[/B] LinkedList<Card>();
temp = content;

[B]while[/B] (!temp.isEmpty()){
total += temp.removeFirst().rank();
}

[B]return[/B] total;
}

Thanks again for all input.

You don't really need to remove from the list just to examine things in the list. You can simply iterate the collection with a "for each" loop, so your example code becomes:

[B]int[/B] total = 0;
for (Card card : content){
  total += card.rank();
}

[B]return[/B] total;
}
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.