Hi all,

I already know 60% of the BASIC syntax of c++. I would like to experiment with creating a GUI application however I have no clue were to start.

Could you kindly provide me with a name of a good book which focuses on Simple GUI creation and simple object movement.

Object moevement for example a small shape moving across the screen. Sort of a screen saver if you know what I mean.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

>I already know 60% of the BASIC syntax of c++.
What about the semantics. Do you know how to write working C++ of any non-trivial size? Because if you want to do GUIs, non-trivial size is exactly what you'll get. And it's a real pain to struggle with the language while trying to learn the Windows API.

>Could you kindly provide me with a name of a good book which focuses
>on Simple GUI creation and simple object movement.
It's not simple. That's the hard truth. But the Windows programming bible is this one.

You of course could program with a considerably easier API like the gtk or qt API. I believe these are much easier to use then the Windows API and seems to be a good choice for a beginning c++ programmer.

This library is good for animations.. you can download the demo and see what can be done.
Actually the menu that comes up as soon as you launch the demon is a fairly decent GUI too..

The whole package is just one header file, and it's very easy to use and small and fully portable.. I found it to be quite useful for my project..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.