Hi everyone,

Could some one please tell me or show me the entire codings of how to run external .exe programs in java. I want to do this because i have a lot c/vb programs that i want to run in my java program.

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

the code goes like this:

try
{
 Runtime rt = Rintime.getRuntime() ;
 Process p = rt.exec("Program.exe") ;
 InputStream in = p.getInputStream() ;
 OutputStream out = p.getOutputStream ();
 InputSream err = p,getErrorStram() ;

//do whatever you want
 //some more code

p.destroy() ;
}catch(Exception exc){/*handle exception*/}

try out this code ... it will not be platform independent ....
Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("c:\myprogram.exe");

I dont have the time to test it .... if you succeed please tell me too.
:eek:

Hi everyone,
The above codes only seem to run external .exe programs but what if i want to run external jar programs. Could someone show me or e-mail me the codings of how to do this the right way.

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

i'm using the code from above to try to run a program and here's my problem... when i call an exe that i wrote in VB, the program runs fine. if i call a c or c++ program the program loads into memory (i see it in the processes tab) but the console doesn't open up with the program in it.
here's the code i have right now for it...

try
   {
    Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime();
    Process p = rt.exec("vbex.exe");
    InputStream in = p.getInputStream();
    OutputStream out = p.getOutputStream();
    InputStream err = p.getErrorStream();

p.destroy() ;
    }catch(Exception exc){/*handle exception*/}

hi everyone,

Do this instead

void run ()
{
try
{
Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime();
Process p = rt.exec("vbex.exe");
}

catch(Exception e)
{

}

}

I hope this helps you

Richard West

HI EVERYBODY,
I have a question regarding this i used this to call exe application but it is opening independently, but what if i want to run that particular exe in the frame itsself like an JInternal Frame..

Please help me regaridng this..

Thanks in advance..

Subroto Bhattacharjee

Hi,

The following example shows opening a notepad using java application.

commented: zombie master -3

There are a load of answers in this 2004 zombie thread using Runtime.exec to run an external process, but this was superseded in Java 5 (JDK 1.5) with ProcessBuilder, which is now preferred to Runtime.exec
http://www.java-tips.org/java-se-tips/java.util/from-runtime.exec-to-processbuilder.html

commented: not sure why someone would downvote this... +18

How to run external .exe programs from java in remote machine?

Hi,

I want to run a batch file in a remote machine using JAVA. Could anyone advise, how this is possible in JAVA code.

Reagrds
Manish

first of all, you could have figured out that this thread is 8 years old, and has been revived way to many times already. secondly, you could 've read the answers already given.

also, you might want to provide some more information.
are we talking a complete separate system? do you have a "client" app on the remote machine, can you access the remote machine, ... ?

Yes, i saw that, but i thought my problem is something similar to it. hence i posted here.

Actually, i am using Selenium Grid and running my test cases on remote machine. And i am also using Screen recorder to record video for my test. When i start Screen recorder, it only starts in the hub machine (my machine). So i thought to run the Screen recorder on remote machine by running a batch file using my Selenium Java code.

DaniWeb Member Rules include:
"Do not hijack old threads by posting a new question as a reply to an old one"
http://www.daniweb.com/community/rules
Please start your own new thread for your question

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.