Hello gang, I was actually really my old topic on this forum. I heard that Python and Ruby would be for me to start with. Does that sound right instead of jumping right in to C and C++? What is required in Python? Is there free tutorials on that language? I really don't want to take an intro course. I rather read tutorials. What comes first to learn Python or Ruby? I really would like to fit in and learn programming. Take care.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I found a basic tutorial here. http://www.sthurlow.com/python/

So i did a search for cmd. I ran that typed in python -V. It is not a recogined file or batch file. I did that to test it. It said that in the guide. Am i doing something wrong what i wrote?

Python is quite an exceptional language, and although powerful, you can learn how to make simple applications quite easily. I got a basic education of Python just by searching Google for tutorials, and asking questions on DaniWeb. Once you understand how it works, you can then get into more complicated stuff like Tkinter and wxPython for GUIs. Just get Python 2.5 and you can start programming/learning. Have fun :) !

Python or Ruby? I would say that Python has the better syntax, and is easier to read and understand.

As you learn Python, take a look into simple C++ programming every now and then. There are quite a number of similarities to discover.

I like this analogy:
Learning Python is like learning how to drive a car and get into the races quickly. Learning C++ will also teach you about the engine and all the nuts and bolts of a car. Takes more time, is more complex, and could turn you into a good car mechanic.

Good analogy, Vega. As a C fan, I would say that Python is definitely a better first language than C.

(1) Safety: Python protects you from writing code that can actually mangle your system, whereas C allows you free reign, up to the limits of your OS permissions. So running a C program as root could conceivably
allow you the power to mangle your file system, make your OS beg for mercy, or simply hang until you cut the power.

(2) Debuggability -- Python has wonderful run-time error messages. C has none.

(3) "Batteries included" -- there are a lot of wheels already included in Python that have to be reinvented, or found on the Web (and do *you* trust mysterious code off the Web?) in C.

That said, C/C++ creates the right mental framework for understanding coding in general. So I recommend either one as a great *second* language.

Jeff

I used several tutorials found on Google but the best start for me was O'Reilly's "Learning Python" book. (ISBN 0-596-00281-5). Within a week I was hooked on Python.

I used several tutorials found on Google but the best start for me was O'Reilly's "Learning Python" book. (ISBN 0-596-00281-5). Within a week I was hooked on Python.

I agree, it is a good book! I bought it a few years ago, but even today I still thumb through it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.