Using VC++ 6.0, setting this option doesn't seem to do anything significant. Specically, I can still run the app on a 486. I've drilled into assembly and can't find anywhere that Pentium opcodes are being used. My guess would be timing and as I don't have any references to that I can't really be sure.

I would appreciate a short snippet with and without the option being set and a listing with machine, assembly and source.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Thank's. Better than M$, why am I not surprised. I like the idea too that I can use it with my existing IDE.

Better than M$, why am I not surprised.

I hope you're not surprised that intel's compiler has better optimizations because they _make_ the processors, and not because you just don't like microsoft. ;)

I hope you're not surprised that intel's compiler has better optimizations because they _make_ the processors, and not because you just don't like microsoft. ;)

That being said, Intel is quite liberal with their documentation so there is no reason M$ couldn't have an equal or better compiler.

That being said, Intel is quite liberal with their documentation so there is no reason M$ couldn't have an equal or better compiler.

There's a good reason. They're M$. This generation's IBM. If they could program like they market, you'd be right. But all they really have going for them is great marketing and a stranglehold on the industry.

commented: :) +4
commented: great marketing alone doesn't keep you in business for several decades +0
commented: Hamrick, repping is not an instrument for opinions. +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.