Hi, I'm pretty new in this forum and also new in C development. I was wondering if there's a way to play rm/rmvb files in a C application.

I did a bit of research but without any success.

Can somebody help me here?

UPDATE: Just as un update, I wanted to say that I'm not trying to get someone to do it for me, but to get some paths about how to do it.

Cheers

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

http://www.videolan.org/
Grab the source code.

> I was wondering if there's a way to play rm/rmvb files in a C application.
Unless you're looking for something trivial like system( "nameofmediaplayer.exe nameofmediafile.rm" );

http://www.videolan.org/
Grab the source code.

> I was wondering if there's a way to play rm/rmvb files in a C application.
Unless you're looking for something trivial like system( "nameofmediaplayer.exe nameofmediafile.rm" );

Right, I believe the first one will be the sollution, as I need this to interpret even if the user don't have Real Player installed.

Thanks

Just had a look at the code... Not that it's veeery stright forward. I understood a bit, nit not too much. Can somebody gimme a very basic example on how to load a rmvb?

Cheers

Most video formats are highly compressed encodings backed up by a hell of a lot of pretty hairy mathematics. There is no such thing as "simple" when it comes to doing all the work yourself. All that maths takes a lot of involved code, and there's just no way round it.

It's a lot easier if you can get an appropriate codec which will just give you the frames in sequence. That makes it easier for you.

It depends where you want to draw the line.

If video files were just full screen BMP's flipped through at 30 frames a second, then life would be dead easy for programmers, and very profitable for HD manufacturers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.