Hi,

I need some help with average calculation. I have a homework where i must find average value, but this one is quite tricky, atleast for me. usualy it goes like that 1+2 average is 1,5.
I have to do it like this:

If i input 15 then program should understand that as 1+5 and average of that is 3.

I have failed to find/figure this one out.

Thank you in advance.

A couple of comments for you to consider:

• You will need a variable of type float or double to store and print the average
  • You can use modulo arithmetic to get the digits of a number (%)

These two hints should point you in the right direction. Let me know if I am being too vague but I am trying to give you a hint without telling you exactly what to do... ;)

Welcome aboard. A few things additionally. This is an outline:

<Your headers>

using namespace std;

int main ()
{
1. declare a few variables...int, float...
2. cout<<"enter two numbers to get the average"<<endl;//ask the user ro input two digits.
3. cin>>num1>>num2;//makes the user enter two numbers
4. You get the total of the numbers and then divide by the amt of numbers/digits.
5. You can figure out the rest. Hope this helps.

A couple of comments for you to consider:

• You will need a variable of type float or double to store and print the average
  • You can use modulo arithmetic to get the digits of a number (%)

These two hints should point you in the right direction. Let me know if I am being too vague but I am trying to give you a hint without telling you exactly what to do... ;)

I understand and respect that, but since im kinda new to this thing, could you please point the direction where should I look for some info on modulo arithmetic? google seems to find alot except basics on this.

Welcome aboard. A few things additionally. This is an outline:

<Your headers>

using namespace std;

int main ()
{
1. declare a few variables...int, float...
2. cout<<"enter two numbers to get the average"<<endl;//ask the user ro input two digits.
3. cin>>num1>>num2;//makes the user enter two numbers
4. You get the total of the numbers and then divide by the amt of numbers/digits.
5. You can figure out the rest. Hope this helps.

Thanks, but the hardest thing in this assingment is that I dont need to input 2 digits, I know how to do that :)

It goes like this, I input one digit, lets say 15 for example, the program should understand this one digit as 1+5 and calculate its average. 1+5=6/2 = 3 like this :)

>>modulo arithmetic
Not much to it -- modulo is the result after division. For example 15/10 = remainder 5. So 15 % 10 = 5. 27 % 10 = 7. After that just do normal division by 10 to remove the last digit from the number.

Ok...now i get you. I perhapds did mis-understand you initially. So what you'll have to do (this isn't the entire answer, but it's a start):

#include <iostream.h>
//other headers
using namespace std;
main()
{

int num; //user input
int a,b;  //used for integer division and modulus operations
cout <<"Enter a two digit number." <<endl;
cin >> num;
#= #/10; //do calculation                           
# = #%10;//do calculation
cout<<#<<#<<endl;
double average = (# + # )/2;
cout<<average<<endl;

enough spoon feeding, you can figure out how to do the rest...or fill in the blanks, show us what you've come up with!

Ok...thx for spotting that. Age....what else to blame. Pretty straight-forward assignment. To original poster. If your professor requires you to do it for a larger number...let's say....a 6 digit number, then you'll have to use the operations 6 times.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.