Hi,

I am looking to upgrade (rewrite) some legacy C programs, and would really appreciate some helpful suggestions on the route to take. i.e. Should it be C++, or C# or .Net or something else?

Background
=========
Programs:
(a) These are MS C v6 utilizing CODEBASE to read Btrieve files (.btr) and output dBase (.dbf) files.
(b) Also some Borland Turbo C programs using BTRV API to read/write Btrieve files.
(c) Finally, some Clipper programs that may possibly be upgraded as well; just text and .dbf files.

Environment: Windows 2000 servers. Recently upgraded to Btrieve8. PCs W2K , being replaced by XP.

Programmer: Self taught in C (i.e. bright, but not very good!).

Other: Often come across memory problems, especially as OS upgrades are made, so the size of the executable may well be a consideration.

Many thanks,
Bob

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

>>so the size of the executable may well be a consideration.
The size of the executables is not relevent as long as you make sure the computers have sufficient RAM and hard drive space. If the programs are having memory problems then its probably due to some faulty programming, not the size of the *.exe files.

My first thought is if it ain't broke don't fix it. But if you are going to do a major overhaul then I think I'd go for c++.

I should make clear they are legacy programs, not written by me.
The idea is to send someone else on a course, who can then bring me up to speed (we're a very small shop now!). That might also influence the choice of C++ or C#. By upgrading, we also aim to get a more modern development environment! :)

>>The idea is to send someone else on a course, who can then bring me up to speed
That won't happen. There's a lot more to writing c++ than what can be stuffed into one course. And taking one course does not a teacher make. My suggestion -- take the course yourself and learn from someone who has been programming in the language for several years and is an experienced teacher. Even if you have to take night classes on your own time, and hopefully your company will pay the tuition/fees/books.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.