Can anyone point me in the direction of a small app that displays 2 panels on a frame, where one panel is small and at the top taking up about 20% of the frame, and the other panel takes up 80%.

I would like it to be possible using wxBoxSizer but if anyone can show me any other way in wx then that's grand.

LarZ

Here is one example:

# put two different size panels into a wxBoxSizer

import wx

class MyFrame(wx.Frame):
    def __init__(self, parent, id, title):
        wx.Frame.__init__(self, parent, id, title, size=(250, 70))
        panel = wx.Panel(self, -1)
        panel1 = wx.Panel(panel, -1, size=(50, 30))
        panel1.SetBackgroundColour('blue')
        panel2 = wx.Panel(panel, -1, size=(200, 30))
        panel2.SetBackgroundColour('green')
        box = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
        box.Add(panel1, 1)
        box.Add(panel2, 1)
        panel.SetSizer(box)
        self.Centre()

class MyApp(wx.App):
     def OnInit(self):
         frame = MyFrame(None, -1, 'wxBoxSizer.py')
         frame.Show(True)
         return True

app = MyApp(0)
app.MainLoop()

Thanks a lot, but the panels are still resizing when the frame gets resized, so they're not of a fixed size.

I don't want each panel taking up half of the overall height of the panel/frame in which it is contained. I want at least the top one to stay the same size at all times....

anyone have any ideas?

yeah i decided to ditch the boxsizer, as it has a mind of its own at the best of times... I'm just throwing in the position of the frames and the size as follows:

from wxPython.wx import *

class APanel(wxPanel):
	def __init__(self, parent,size,pos):
		wxPanel.__init__(self,parent,-1,size = size,pos = pos)

class MainFrame(wxFrame):
	def __init__(self, parent, ID, title):
		wxFrame.__init__(self, parent, ID, title, size = (500,500))
		self.testPanel = self.createTestPanel(self)
		self.argsPanel = self.createArgsPanel(self)

	def createTestPanel(self,parent):
		size = wxSize(250, 100)
		pos = (0,0)
		testPanel = APanel(parent,size,pos)
		testPanel.SetBackgroundColour("GRAY")
		print "returning panel %s" %testPanel
		return testPanel
	
	def createArgsPanel(self,parent):
		size = wxSize(250, 300)
		pos = (0,100)
		argsPanel = APanel(parent,size,pos)
		argsPanel.SetBackgroundColour("BLUE")
		print "returning panel %s" %argsPanel
		return argsPanel

class MyApp(wxApp):
	def OnInit(self):
		frame = MainFrame(NULL, -1, "I hate sizers :D")
		frame.Show(1)
		return true

app = MyApp(0)
app.MainLoop()
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.