HI everyone,

I recently inherited a project that has been in production for a number of years. They want a new field added. Easy peasy - or so you would think..... The solution is checked into Team Foundation (back in 2012), so I was able to get the code there (and did). Another programmer here had to add a report to the program back in 2015, she did. HOWEVER she didn't check the code into Team Foundation (still showing as checked out). We got the code she had off the network location she had it out to.

Here is where the fun begins. Looking at the login page it is using the membership stuff for the login. The database (Development or Production) doesn't have any of the membership tables or stored procs!

The Production version of the app is using Active Directory for the log in process. That code is not in the log in page at all! I can easily reproduce code to use AD instead of membership to log in.

My question (for those of you that haven't fallen asleep by now!), can any of you recommend or tell me of a way that I can compare the solution on Team Foundation to the code we got from the second programmer's network location to see the differences? I need to make the changes, BUT I can't lose any changes the second programmer made back in '15.

Thanks in advance!

John

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'm going to give you what I use outside of Visual Studio. It's call WinMerge.

What is WinMerge?
WinMerge is an Open Source differencing and merging tool for Windows. WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle.

So you have your sets of files and this would be how I compare since comparing in VS's world doesn't seem obvious.

commented: Thumbs up for WinMerge from me. +15

Before you start doing any work, if at all possible, create a commit for the last developer with all her changes explaining what happened, then you're starting your own work with a clean slate.

On the plus side, at least there was source control. I've taken on several contracts where there's nothing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.