I am a college student in China.My major is math,I want to go to learn programming,but it seems that I can't find a good way,I don't know the correct learning way.I think that I have been lost in useless learning.It's too terrible,my god!

Andrew_104 commented: Check out the odin project - it's a free javascript course +0

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

As a first language I highly recommend Python. It is free and comes with a simple IDE (idle). For something more robust you can use Microsoft vscode (also free) as the Python IDE. Python has a very friendly syntax and there are a large number of free online tutorials. And you can post questions here for things that are unclear. I've programmed in a large number of languages over many years and I now program exclusively in Python. It give me fast turnaround and is also fun.

If you learn better from books I suggest Magnus Lie Hetland - Beginning Python_ From Novice to Professional. It's slightly out of date but is an excellent resource.

Keep in mind that learning to program is not just about learning a language. It is also about learning how to design software. You can't learn how to build a house by merely learning how to use all the tools.

commented: Thanks,sir. +0

Python works as a first language, but I would also recommend Javascript just because it is being used just about everywhere nowadays!

However, I guess the bigger question is, as a math major, what’s your objective to learning programming? If you want to make web apps, you might take a very different path than doing some backend calculations for something or other.

Either way, have you taken any computer science courses? Specifically, I would recommend an intro to data structures course.

Check out The Odin Project - free JavaScript course

I would suggest first off is examining exactly what you want to do with your programming. There are a great many areas to explore and most languages excel in only some of those areas. If your interest is as a hobby, you could do far worse than vb.net. Not only is it a robust, plain language coding language it also includes a WYSIWYG gui editor and is very good at learning how to think as a programmer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.