I'm having a problem with my XML and XSL pages. My XSL sheet is not complete yet, but when I go to view my XML to see how it looks so far, I get an error saying, "Error loading stylesheet: Parsing an XSLT stylesheet failed." Does anyone know why this could be happening. I am using Mozilla, I know that the browser matters, but I've done other web pages that have turned out fine. Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

There could be various reasons. To name a few:
1. Invalid/Wrong path to the stylesheet
2. Invalid characters in the stylesheet
3. Improper syntax
4. Insufficient Permissions on the file

Open the XSL file directly through FF. If the problem is any of 1-3, then it will tell you on which line the error occured.

That's the problem I'm having, Nothing will show up, except the "Error loading stylesheet: Parsing an XSLT stylesheet failed" message.. it won't show me what line or anything, it is so annoying because I don't know what is wrong with it.

Thank you anyways!!

"Error loading stylesheet..." is typically reported by the XSL parser, not the browser. What I am suggesting is to open up Firefox and type(as an example):
http://www.yoursite.com/Project/myFile.xsl

Firefox will not try to parse/interpret your XSL file. But it will try to create a "tree-node" representative of the document. Things that the browser will spot easily for you are for example:
& instead of &
or unclosed elements (<br> instead of <br />) or mismatching elements (<span><div></div></span>)
etc.
IF the problem on the file are permissions, the browser will also report it because it will not be able to retrieve it from the server.

I'm having a problem with my XML and XSL pages. My XSL sheet is not complete yet, but when I go to view my XML to see how it looks so far, I get an error saying, "Error loading stylesheet: Parsing an XSLT stylesheet failed." Does anyone know why this could be happening. I am using Mozilla, I know that the browser matters, but I've done other web pages that have turned out fine. Thank you

What MIME/Type encoding are you using and is the stylesheet loaded from a server or your local machine?

In Mozilla - go to Tools > Page Info and see what the Type attribute displays

please help!

please help!

Post your code, we are not mind readers to find out where is problem in code you writing

please help!

Hi ,

"Error loading stylesheet: Parsing an XSLT stylesheet failed."

Solution: Use " : " instead of " - "

e.g: <xsl-stylesheet version = "1.0"
xmlns:xsl = "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
<xsl-stylesheet>

Here use <xsl:stylesheet ...> instead of <xsl-stylesheet....>

cheers !

From what I can see on your code, your going about this in a very difficult manner. The easiest way to load an XSL stylesheet is this

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="style.xsl"?>

Do this just after <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
Before, you were relying on namespaces instead just directly refering to your XSL file in your folder. It may also be easier to write this in eclipse, and use that.
This tutorial may help a little... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcRBaQvmXn0

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.