RandyRich 2 Newbie Poster

I'm new to asp.net and I have an oracle stored function with 3 input parameters that returns a string. The function is one that validates a user. I want to validate my users from Oracle. I'm trying to use the sqldatasource component to interact with my stored procedure but I can't seem to find the right syntax.

First of all I've configured the sqldatasource to connect to the correct database. I've also configured the define custom statement or stored procedures in the select tab and defined my parameters.

Now I'm using the authenticate event handler of the login control to load the values into my stored function and read the result back, but I'm not sure of the correct syntax and can't seem to find anything on the web.

I was hoping that textBox1.text would contain the results of my stored function but it actually displays 'SYSTEM.DATA.DATAVIEW'

HERE IS MY CODE:

Protected Sub Login1_Authenticate(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.AuthenticateEventArgs)
        'HERE I'M INITIATINT THE ARGUMENTS TO BE PASSED TO THE SELECT STATEMENT, BUT NOT REALLY SURE WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT
        Dim arguments As New DataSourceSelectArguments
        'HERE I'M ATTEMPTING TO MAKE SOME SORT OF RETURN VALUE, BUT AGAIN NOT SURE WHY
        Dim returnValue As System.Data.DataView
        'THESE STATEMENTS SHOULD BE LOADING MY DATA INTO THE PARAMETERS OF THE SQLDATASOURCE
        DataSourceUsers.SelectParameters("IN_USER_ID").DefaultValue = "myuserid"
        DataSourceUsers.SelectParameters("IN_PASSWORD").DefaultValue = "mypassword"
        DataSourceUsers.SelectParameters("IN_APPLICATION").DefaultValue = "AC360"
        'HERE I CALL THE SELECT METHOD OF THE SQL DATA SOURCE
        'BUT NOT SURE IF MY ARGUMENTS AND RETURN VALUE ARE CORRECT
        returnValue = DataSourceUsers.Select(arguments)
        'HERE I'M TRYING TO VIEW THE RESULTS ON THE FORM TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED
        TextBox1.Text = returnValue.ToString
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.