I am using ajax to pass php variable to javasccript function as shown below for my particular application.

i am using the foolowing function from ajax.js freely available from net to implement the ajax functionality as

var abc = new sack();

PHP portion which passes the response text:
<?
$table=$_GET;

gg($table);
gg($table)
{
echo "<a href='#' onclick='showfield($table) '>show</a>";
}

?>

javascript:
showfield(ss)
{

alert(ss);
}

Problem:

1] When $table is having a string with only numeric characters for eg: "123" we get the alert

2] When $table is having a string with alphanumeric characters for eg: "123efg" we get the error report as "missing ) after argument list"

3] When $table is having a string with alphanumeric characters for eg: "efg123" or "abcdfr" we get the error report as "efg123 is not defined" or "abcdfr is not defined".

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by SatishU

Take a look at the generated source code, try to analyze it and you would know the answer to all your questions.

You need to pass strings with double or single quotes so you should use the escape character
try
echo "<a href='#' onclick='showfield(\"".$table."\") '>show</a>";

this solution helped me in my code thanks ;) well i was coding something else.. i was forgetting to give a quote -.- thank you so much ^^

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.