Hi there, wondering if anyone is able to help me.

I am making a piece of software (for a uni project not for profit) and I have pretty good knowledge of Java but not Javascript.

For this project I wish to create an interface that looks like igoogle.com but not with any of the functionality as I will explain.

The idea is to have 3 dragable, snapable, columns which can contain several containers of the same width but varying height. In these objects I want to be able to contain individual objects which have the option of being dragged internally to sort them but also be dragged as a "ghost" (http://demos111.mootools.net/Drag.Cart) into an alternative container which can be exported to a plan. This isnt what im worrying about at this stage but just to give some background on the type of container I need to create.

So basically just need to create a frame work, with a title bar at the top, which contains 3 columns with the ability to add a container of a certain type (there will be 3 type, one for the central list, one for editing an objects content, and one for containing a list of objects - there may be multiple of the 3rd type but only one of the first two) and make it dragable around the page and will snap-to when released.

I realise this has been a little rambly and I apologise for that but basically as I stated at the top require similar look and feel to igoogle if this makes it clearer and I have also created 3 Images to explain how I see a drag happening, images are labeled 1 to 3 and are chronological.

Any help on how to get started with the framework would be greatly appreciated, I have found many sites which seem to be able to offer help with the objects and wish to have a crack at this independently (unless someone wants to be very generous with their time :P) but just want to construct a good framework - ultimately I will be using PHP with the objects and also exporting a version of the contents to an XML file in case this impacts upon the choices, I believe AJAX might be useful but not sure of its implementation.

Attachments frame1.png 59.61 KB frame2.png 76.56 KB frame3.png 88.01 KB
This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.