Hi,
I have downloaded Drupal but i have some questions.

1. I have read the installation but didn't get it. I need help to install it. I run WIN XP with WAMP server.
2. Can i use it in my local compuer with WAMP for test purposes. I just need to know a bit.

Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by sikka_varun

Hi...
Its pretty simple... You should have read install.php carefully..
Anyways..
1) In the drupal folder, there is a site folder and in there you have a default folder..
Just rename the drupal/sites/default/default.settings.php file to -> /drupal/sites/default/settings.php

2) Edit the above settings.php file and edit the database url variable $db_url in it..
For mysql, in wamp your hostname is localhost, username is root and password i suppose is empty..
So the above string value will be:
$db_url = 'mysql://root:@localhost/drupal';
where drupal is the database name..

3) now open http://localhost/phpmyadmin and create a database named drupal

4) Now just run the installation script:
http://localhost/<drupal folder name>/install.php

5) Just follow the screen instructions..

And yes ofcourse, we can use wamp for test purposes for drupal..
no issues..
all the best with drupal..

Hi..
i think the above $db_url had a smiley in between....
this was due to some smiley shortcut...
the db_url will be ... $db_url = 'mysql://root<colon>localhost/drupal';

Oops.. im extremely sorry the url will be $db_url = 'mysql://root<colon><at the rate symbol>localhost/drupal';

Hi guys,

I have installed it successfully with a problem but i think it shouldn't be a problem because: i use it in my desktop only. Am i right?

Thanks

warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\wamp\www\ssl\drupal-6.8\includes\mail.inc on line 193.
Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the site admin, if the problem persists.

Hi...
yes its absolutely fine...
This problem is because your system is not configured as smtp (the email sending port)... so php is not able to send mail... thats y this error occurred... otherwise its absolutely fine...
all the best with your drupal...

What do we use drupal for? Do we create web pages or something else? When i do changes, it only changes the current preview of my account. Is there any way how to create a web page example? Simple one to learn. I heart that if a person is not good in designing, the drupal can be used to create a webpage. Is it right?
Thanks guys

Hi...
Yes you can.... preferably check its documentation for all its features.... But otherwise... on a quick note..
-> go to create content -> and create pages
-> in the administer section -> use site building to build your site and content management to attach to the pages created above...

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.