hallo there.

i am new in programming so i ask for your understanding

i want to put the results from a sql query into a textarea. then i want to be able to pick one of the records of textarea and delete it (textarea and database). (i dont have to use textarea i just thouhgt it would be a good idea)

something is not right. this is my code

echo "<form method=post name=f2 action='dd-delete.php'>";

$qry="SELECT id, member, math, bathmos FROM bathmoi";
echo '<textarea name="show" rows="20" cols="70" readonly="readonly">';

while($result = mysql_fetch_array($qry)) {
echo "$result[id], $resuld[memeber], $result[mathima]";
}
echo "</textarea>";

echo "<input type=submit value=Submit>";
echo "</form>";

i receive:

<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in <b>C:\xampp\htdocs\admin\drop_down\dd.php</b> on line <b>118</b><br />

can u help me? what should i do to see the records and be able to pick one of then in order to delete it (from database and textarea)?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

$qry="SELECT id, member, math, bathmos FROM bathmoi";
$handle=mysql_query($qry);

echo '<textarea name="show" rows="20" cols="70" readonly="readonly">';

if(mysql_num_rows($handle) > 0)
{

while($result = mysql_fetch_array($handle)) 
  {
    echo "$result[id], $resuld[memeber], $result[mathima]";
  }

}
echo "</textarea>";

also it is not a good practice to allow user to delete records through a text box, the possibilities of error will increase.
you can list result in tabular form and display a delete link in the last column of each record rows.

while($result = mysql_fetch_array($qry))

hi there,
you get error at this line becuase in mysql_fetch_array($result) function can takes only result variable which holds output generated by $result=mysql_query($qry);
hope you understand.
Now for deleting part ,me also suggest make table which contain each row returned by query and last column contains link which hold link of php processing page and primary key of that row in the form of querysting.
please check this Url
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web_Development/Web_Languages-Standards/PHP/PHP_Databases/Q_23328726.html
Hope this will help you.
Thanks & Regards
Dilip Kumar Vishwakarma

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.