as i`m creating a social network website,i would like to inhance members to upload photos to their personal albums.
So i dont know how to get started,is there a free script i can use or somebody to explain to me what i need to do inorder to fulfill my needs.
Also i will appreciate if you can tell me how much Space is needed for Server with a websites of this type(social network website).

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

well first of all alot of space is needed if it will be a large site like facebook. For the gallery i really suggest building one from scratch, thats exactly what im doing; as i also am building a social networking site.
However you could use coppermine or something like that. But there are many tutorials on the web on how to build photogallerys etc. I strongly suggest; if this is your first php project, to either read some books on this subject or do something with joomla.

Member Avatar for diafol

Coppermine (open source) could be a good place to start (I recently translated the app into Welsh), but the skins available are a bit YUK. There are other good-ish open source galleries out there. You'd probably need to spend a good month or two researching this aspect of your site as security would be a key issue. A number of low-end gallery apps may not be very secure. If your site is to be used with confidence (members may want to post personal info and withhold that info from certain people, including images), you've got to get it right first time.

Thankx for your reply.
You mentioned Scratch,coppermine and joomla...
i`m not familiar with this thingz can please explain a alittle.
This is my first project in php,Can`t you approximate how much space i`ll need as you are doing the same project??

as i`m creating a social network website,i would like to inhance members to upload photos to their personal albums.
So i dont know how to get started,is there a free script i can use or somebody to explain to me what i need to do inorder to fulfill my needs.
Also i will appreciate if you can tell me how much Space is needed for Server with a websites of this type(social network website).

This is a very complicated topic, there are just too many possible ways to do this.

First - decide where you want to store your uploaded images - in database as binary data or in the file systems and only store the paths to images in the database.

Second - usually scripts that allow image uploads also implement a thumbnailing feature where a small copy of image is automatically created and store somewhere separately (thumbnail) So you will also have to implement this.

Third - if an image dimension is too large to fit in a normal web page the image should also be resized to something like 600px max width. You should do that. Then another question - if you resize a very large image, do you still want to store the original or not?

Another question - do you want to add a feature to make sure images 'private' meaning to restrict view access to image to only certain users? This is yet another feature you may need to implement.

And of cause you will need to add option to delete an image if user does not want to store it anymore.

Then you may want to track the total disk space user by all images per-user.

as far a free script, it depends what you are looking for - a ready-to go script or a library that you want to use in your own application?

thank you for your advice,i`ll be back if i wont succeed))

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.