Hello.
I am completely new to web development but want to learn PHP. I am currently a Sys Admin working in a Windows environment but I am very familiar with Linux OS server platforms also having built and run both a Windows and Linux web, MS SQL, and MySQL servers.
I am very curious about the web development world and was wondering if anyone here would be able to point me in the right direction on books and any resource material on learning how to code PHP.
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

http://php.net is an amazing resource if you're using PHP its a good idea to get very familiar with it.

I would say php.net IS indeed full of awesomeness but I find it works best for when you need help on a specific problem.

For generally learning PHP I would suggest just picking up a few tuts on the net. If your more of a book person then go ahead and drop 20 on whatever one sounds good to you.

PHP is a very satisfying language. I don't know what it is but it just makes sense. I really enjoy working with it.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I bought PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide, Third Edition over the weekend and started reading it. The book even recommended php.net.
I'm looking forward to learning.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.