Hi Daniweb JS guru's,

Ive seen this everywhere, but have been unable to find a tutorial, or anything on how to implement it into my php pages. The best example for me to explain with, are live at facebook and youtube. Facebooks newest user status feature the "like this" link - and youtubes "favourite" link located under the player... There are tonnes more examples, and thats why im shocked that their isnt a tutorial about it anywhere...

So basically i need the user to be able to click a specific link, which then updates the database, and then shows a success message, all without refreshing the page. Any help, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.. Clarity

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

It's called AJAX, once you know the term you'll have more articles then you'll know what to do with. Have fun.

Yeah sometimes it is hard to search if you dont know what you are searching. In asp.net ajax implementation is very easy, i think php requires manual javascripting.

O|o..?

I know what AJAX is... I am from this decade dudes... I am a php programmer (3 years), and flourishing web designer(1 years)...
I also understand how to search google.... But just searching for "AJAX" is gunna get u nowhere.... Especially since I am not wanting to learn any complex AJAX, or JS just yet. I'm instead, hoping to find a tutorial, or script that can help me achieve these results..if such a thing exists.

Now... If one of you could be wickedly cool, and abit more helpful, and direct me to some more useful information, than that would be great... Otherwise.... I am abit disappointed by these replies.

For the noting: I havent found anything on this. Or, im not searching with the right keywords. For me, posting in forums to ask for help is a last resort....what with all of the resources available.... its very easy to teach yourself. But I cant find anything, I really am stuck on it.

In the mean time, I have used form button disguised with images to achieve the asthetic effect im after, and a hidden field to actually submit the data.... But i know there is a much compact, and resourceful way to do it.

Thanks anyway

Well, given that you know AJAX it seems a bit strange for you to ask this question

So basically i need the user to be able to click a specific link, which then updates the database, and then shows a success message, all without refreshing the page.

Which is essentially the exact definition of what the purpose of AJAX is. Also, I find it hard to believe you've been a PHP programmer for 3 years and a "flourishing web developer" for 1 year without knowing at least the basics of AJAX.

So I guess I'll go ahead and apologize for serkan's whoring of ASP and my direct answer to the original question for no apparent reason. Glad we could help.

Well, given that you know AJAX it seems a bit strange for you to ask this question

Which is essentially the exact definition of what the purpose of AJAX is. Also, I find it hard to believe you've been a PHP programmer for 3 years and a "flourishing web developer" for 1 year without knowing at least the basics of AJAX.

So I guess I'll go ahead and apologize for serkan's whoring of ASP and my direct answer to the original question for no apparent reason. Glad we could help.

Umm..excuse u? rofl.... I find it hard to believe someone like you who clearly cant even read english, even replied to this thread...??

Where do i say I know AJAX??? I think you need to get ur spectales checked buddy... something has gone amiss with your comprehending, me thinks....

And where in the world does it say that inorder to program web applications, that you need to know even the basics of AJAX>? I think your statement speaks so loudly for its own "unintelligence".. that i wont even bother making a mokery of you for it... You took care of that yourself...

Clearly, what has happened here is you have no answer... and on your way through you thought u might bump up ur post count... and let everyone know what a loud mouth, know-nothing you are.
Please... do yourself the favour, and inherently, me... Go on your way... your helpfulness has been found wanting here.... and I think you should just move on and let someone who is more able, help me with my question....

commented: You asked for help. If you aren't happy with their answers,you should make them understand your question better rather than being impolite. Nobody likes this kind of attitude. -2
commented: Rude and disrespectful -2

And how is that...

I asked the same question, on another forum, and i just got a pretty decent, and well explained reply.... Unlike yours...
What a sad misrepresentation you are for this awesome website....

And how is that...

I asked the same question, on another forum, and i just got a pretty decent, and well explained reply.... Unlike yours...

Why don't you share that reply with the members of this awesome website ? Let serkan sendur and ShawnCplus also know what you were looking for.

And how is that...

how do you think you improve our website with this useless post?

claritydigital, you have learn how to search in google before u start learing ajax. When u search ajax in google the third result itself is a good tutorial site (w3schools). Also u can get unlimited help from this forum if u ready to change ur attitude. There are many skilled people here. I'm getting a lot of support. :)

My advice is free of cost :D

Well, after not getting my answer here, I unsubscribed from this thread... now comming back to it... I see people are concerned that I didnt get my answer here. I think I explained myself to the best of my ability, If it doesnt make sense what I explained, then I dont know what to say. I asked someone in the forum phpfreaks, and they were happy to point me to some tutorials to help me understand posting forms with ajax....

Thats all i really needed to know.... I am self-taught, and happy to google... But google what exactly? That, I was unsure of. Now while it may seem a strange question to some, it was an honest and genuine question that i genuinely needed an answer too, and a helpful one.. which i didnt get here.

If anyone happens to have the same question as me, I found plenty of resource at this site...

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/board,51.0.html

also....tizag turned out a pretty helpful mini-tut on ajax forms also:

http://www.tizag.com/ajaxTutorial/ajaxform.php

As far as my attitude goes... I think its one of someone who was genuinely offended, so for that, i will give no apology.

Thanks

(where do i click to solve my own thread....hmm)

Bellow last post there is in blue "Mark as Solved"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.