I have a wizard control. On one of its pages I have various controls like textboxes and checkboxes. Could anybody please tell me how I can check from my code (e.g. on Cancel) if the contents of the controls has been changed? I know how to check if each control was changed separately, but is there any way to check the page as a whole?

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by dpreznik

hope this helps...

public static void ClearForm(System.Windows.Forms.Control parent)
        {
                foreach (System.Windows.Forms.Control ctrControl in parent.Controls)
                {
                    //Loop through all controls

if (object.ReferenceEquals(ctrControl.GetType(), typeof(System.Windows.Forms.TextBox)))
                 {
                      //Check to see if it's a textbox
                      ((System.Windows.Forms.TextBox)ctrControl).Text = string.Empty;
                            //If it is then set the text to String.Empty (empty textbox)
                  }
                  else if (object.ReferenceEquals(ctrControl.GetType(), typeof(System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox)))
                  {
                       //If its a RichTextBox clear the text
                       ((System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox)ctrControl).Text = string.Empty;
                  }
                  else if (object.ReferenceEquals(ctrControl.GetType(), typeof(System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox)))
                  {
                       //Next check if it's a dropdown list
                       ((System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox)ctrControl).SelectedIndex = -1;
                            //If it is then set its SelectedIndex to 0
                  }
                  else if (object.ReferenceEquals(ctrControl.GetType(), typeof(System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox)))
                  {
                       //Next uncheck all checkboxes
                       ((System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox)ctrControl).Checked = false;
                  }
                  else if (object.ReferenceEquals(ctrControl.GetType(), typeof(System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton)))
                  {
                       //Unselect all RadioButtons
                       ((System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton)ctrControl).Checked = false;
                  }
                  if (ctrControl.Controls.Count > 0)
                  {
                      //Call itself to get all other controls in other containers
                      ClearForm(ctrControl);
                  }

For the aboove code, instead of making it empty, I would check to see if there is anything inside of them and loop through with a flag(boolean) and run a check at the end.

Thanks, it did help. I still have problem though. Here is how I use it:

protected void OnValueChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            ViewState["IsModified"] = true;
        }

protected void SubscribeForOnChange(Control parent)
        {
            foreach (Control ctrControl in parent.Controls)
            {
                //Loop through all controls
                if (object.ReferenceEquals(ctrControl.GetType(), typeof(TextBox)))
                {
                    ((TextBox)ctrControl).AutoPostBack = true;
                    ((TextBox)ctrControl).TextChanged += new EventHandler(OnValueChanged);
                }
            }
        }

I call this method from my custom code behind parent class' Page_Load:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {            
            if (!IsPostBack && wizSummaryDetails.ActiveStep == wizStepSummary)
            {
                ViewState["IsModified"] = false;
                SubscribeForOnChange(this);

But when I run the application and change the value in the textbox, I do not come to OnValueChanged(). Could you explain why it doesn't happen?

Thank you very much,
Dmitriy

I'm still learning all the bells and whistles of ASP-C#... but I'll give a shot..

Two things
1) Set up an auto-refresh in the meta tag
or
2) Check to make sure the OnValueChanged is called somehow when the button is clicked... if it is not already activated.

Could you please tell me more about 1) because I don't really know anything about it. Where and how that should be done?
2) With a button, OnValueChanged() is called.

sure... in the meta tag at the top of the html.... insert this between the <head></head> tags

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="x">

where you replace x with how many seconds you want to wait before you refresh

Thanks.
But my textboxes are in the second wizard's step, and on refreshing I get to the first step. Plus, I just don't get why it doesn't work on simple changing the textbox's content? If I subscribe for the TextChanged event through the designer, it works. But not when I do it programmatically.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.