Hello,
I need to convert a string variable to BIGINT and store it into the mysql database. I have used settype() but its removing my leading zero in the string.
For example,

$new_id1="12";
   $new_id2="345";
   $zero="0";
   $id="{$zero}{$zero}{$new_id1}{$new_id2}";
   settype($id,"float");
   echo $id;

output:
12345   // Instead of getting 0012345

The above code removes 00 (leading zeros).Can someone help me how to keep the zeros along with variable type as float??
Help would be appreciated
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Numeric datatypes will never have leading zeros. You could add a dummy number to the front and just remove with substr when outputting it.

$new_id1="12";
   $new_id2="345";
   $zero="0";
   $id="1{$zero}{$zero}{$new_id1}{$new_id2}";   
   settype($id,"float");
   echo $id; // outputs 10012345
   echo"<br>";
   $id = substr($id,1);//remove dummy number
   echo $id; // outputs 0012345

Thanks buddylee17,
Well, I wanted to add leading zero in the numeric datatype only. because I should insert it into MySql database BIGINT data field.
Is there any way to insert the numeric/string value with leading zero into MYSQL BIGINT field ? If I insert a string of "0123456" this BIGINT field removes leading 0 and showing only 123456. how to make it show this 0 without enabling unsigned zerofill option? HELP pls !!

Thanks buddylee17,
Well, I wanted to add leading zero in the numeric datatype only. because I should insert it into MySql database BIGINT data field.
Is there any way to insert the numeric/string value with leading zero into MYSQL BIGINT field ? If I insert a string of "0123456" this BIGINT field removes leading 0 and showing only 123456. how to make it show this 0 without enabling unsigned zerofill option? HELP pls !!

MySQL does not know about PHP datatypes. So an integer or a string in PHP looks the same to MySQL.

It only depends on whether you quote the value in the MySQL query or not.

If you quote a value, it is treated as a string. However, MySQL will automatically convert that to the type of the column.

I don't think you can place 0 in front of a bigint column unless you specify zerofill.

If you have phpmyadmin just play around with the values and storage type of the table to make sure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.