Hi everyone, hope someone can help. I'm very much a beginner in Javascript and 'ok' in html but just cannot get a new (picture) window to open in Firefox without the title and address bars (or anything else, just the image). IE shows just the title bar, with or without the code:

function newWindow()
{window.open('./pageaddress.html','winname','top=20,left=20,directories=0,titlebar=0,toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,width=400,height=350');}
</script>

The window opens fine, but always shows the address and title bars. I have read the W3 Schools options list (and other posts) and tried both 'no' and '0' as values, without any success. What am I missing and is there any way to make this work - it didn't even work in the W3 Schools 'try it yourself' test page!

I have seen some very nice 'slowly-opening' windows (increasing in size), which would be even better, any links to info on these would also be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Baddesley,

I can only imagine that this is the result of some FF setting - "always open windows with full title bar" or similar. If so, then you could correct it for yourself but some other users will still see the original behaviour.

A workaround would be to show/hide an absolutely positioned div in your main window, such that it sits on top of all other content. Such a "window" can be populated with content using DHTML/DOM methods and will be "modal" in behaviour by default. You will need to include a "close" button/link such that, once displayed, it can be re-hidden.

Alternatively, maybe someone knows something more than I about window.open in FF.

Airshow

Thanks for the quick reply Airshow, but yes, I do need a fix that works for everyone, no matter what their (or my) local FF setting are.

I'm not sure what you mean about the 'modal' behaviour of hiding the bars behind an absolutely positioned div, but it doesn't sound like the way I want to go. Many sites have click(or hover)-to-open, plain, unadorned new-window (larger) images for products - which s what I want it for - so it must be possible. Hopefully, someone else will know. Thanks anyway.

Hi,

obtaining Airshow's suggestion of the DOM procedure over the document and also i've applied some iframes to simulate real window experience:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Script-Type" content="text/javascript">
<title>www.daniweb.com</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body { min-height : 600px; }
-->
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function newWindow( p, w, h, e ) {
var e = e ? e : window.event;
var x = 0;
var y = 0;
   if ( e.pageY || e.pageX ) {
      x = e.pageX;
      y = e.pageY;
   } else if ( e.clientX || e.clientY ) {
      var db = document.body;
      var dde = document.documentElement;
      x = e.clientX + db.scrollLeft + dde.scrollLeft;
      y = e.clientY + db.scrollTop + dde.scrollTop;
   }
var p = p;
var w = w;
var h = h;
var name = "iframeOne";
var id = name;
   if (( "createElement" && "getElementById" ) in document ) {
   var fragment = document.createDocumentFragment();
   var win = document.createElement("div");
   var iframe = document.createElement("iframe");
   var settings = {
   frameBorder : 0,
   noResize : 0,
   marginHeight : 0,
   marginWidth : 0,
   width : w,
   height : h,
   style : "position : relative",
   name : name,
   id : id
   };
   win.setAttribute( "style", "width : " + w + "px; height : " + h + "px; position : absolute; top : " + y + "px; left : " + x + "px; border : 1px solid #C0C0C0" );
   win.appendChild( iframe );
      for ( var properties in settings ) {
         if ( iframe[ properties ] ) {
         iframe[ properties ] = settings[ properties ];
         continue; 
         } iframe.setAttribute(( properties ).toLowerCase(), settings[ properties ] );
      } fragment.appendChild( win );
    document.body.appendChild( fragment );
   iframe.src = ( function( url ) {
   var path = new Image;
   path.src = url;
      return path.src;
   } )( p );
   }
}

//-->
</script>
</head>
<body>
<noscript>
<p> This site requires a browser that support <b>JavaScript</b>. </p> 
</noscript>
<div id="div">
<input type="button" value="simulate window" onclick="newWindow( 'test.html', 300, 300 );"></div>
</body>
</html>

hope it gets what you need.

Thanks Essential.

I'll have a go, but it looks unbelieveably complicated to me - I'm very much a beginner at JavaScript! What I was really afer was to see if anyone had any idea why the standard W3 options for the 'window.open' function (as above) simply don't work - they are very simple and are supposed to work!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.