Hi,
I've been looking around for a hosting company and haven't been able to decide on one. I was basically wanting to see what some people would recommend.

My requirements:
1.Windows based
2.PHP & ASP.NET
3.Unlimitied disk space
4.Unlimited bandwidth
5.Allow to host unlimited domains under one account
6. The most important - and what I can't seem to find in my searches -
speed is important. I don't want a company where my site is going to take 1-2 minutes to load up (yes, I
know that has to do with what's included in the page, but there is no reason my site shouldn't load
immediately. Majority of the sites that are going to be hosted may average a hundred page hits a month.
However, there will be one site where the expected page hit per month will be up to 100,000 within a yr.

I know with number 6 my best option would be to get a dedicated server; however, right now I'm just not ready for that - maybe within the next year. By that time, I will get my own server and host myself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I definitely wouldn't mind taking one of those companies that offer three free domain names and unlimited for $100 bucks a year but I need to make sure number 6 meets my standards.

Is there anyway to do a ping test on their server and be able to tell this? Or what would be some good search terms for google?

Thanks..

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I did a google search and the following link might be of great interest to you. http://www.m6.net/ Enjoy.

They do look good; however, I need one that's going to offer unlimited space and bandwidth.

I have found two I do like, is there anyway to do a test (maybe through ping) or something to check out the reliability of the server and make sure they have good load balancing?

They do look good; however, I need one that's going to offer unlimited space and bandwidth.

I have found two I do like, is there anyway to do a test (maybe through ping) or something to check out the reliability of the server and make sure they have good load balancing?

heh, you can't exactly test load balancing with a ping and I can say without a doubt that if you DoS a hosting company to "test their load balancing" they'll be very quick to send a nicely formatted letterhead containing their lawyer's phone number.

they'll be very quick to send a nicely formatted letterhead containing their lawyer's phone number.

I wonder if it would be for a nice, free diner invitation.

Okay, so apparently I'm a little slow on the info, I could have swore I was told in one of my classes a long time ago that asp is only offered on Windows; however, I was just proven wrong and think I might have just found a decent site, awardspace.com. Does anyone have any experience with them?

98% of the reviews I read are excellent; however, there were a couple about mysql servers being down freq, which I rely on and can't have that. But you know how reviews are, can't take them at face value.

This might be out of your price range, but Rack Space has a really good hosting deal. It is $100/month, but they are very reliable, you can set up billing, hosting limits, register domains, etc. all from their control panel. It is mainly if you make websites for people and you want to manage all of them together.

Another really good thing is their customer service. You give your customers their phone number, and Rack Space answers the phone using your business title, as if they were the tech support for your business.

There is more information here:

http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/sites/faq

This might be out of your price range, but Rack Space has a really good hosting deal. It is $100/month, but they are very reliable, you can set up billing, hosting limits, register domains, etc. all from their control panel. It is mainly if you make websites for people and you want to manage all of them together.

Another really good thing is their customer service. You give your customers their phone number, and Rack Space answers the phone using your business title, as if they were the tech support for your business.

There is more information here:

http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/sites/faq

I entered in the specs of the plan I'm on with my host and it's over double the price. If there was something like that where you can decide cpu, storage space and bandwidth for a third of the price then I would be very interested in the near future. BTW, the cost that came up for me was $200/month before I add some fancy stuff then it ends up around $325/month. Hope a list of more hosts where I can decide the plan but cheaper can be listed in this topic.

Unlimited? bandwidth diskspace,
unlimited is syonymic for infinite,
not really possible but in
scaleable hosting
second vote for rackspace

on price try theplanet

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.