A few years ago I wrote a mysql/php website, recently the host went bust and it has moved hosts but now quite a lot of the site gives errors - mostly the new server just gives me 500 - internal server errors. I've fixed a few of the problems that seem to do with nulls or passing variables from a form. I only did PHP for about 6 months in the first place but now this has landed back on my desk, is there something I need to be made aware of between php 4.x to 5.x.

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

***Update***

Problem is related to $_POST, if the variable is null it doesn't work so am adding/changing to "isset".

Bad programming in the first place no doubt, but strange that it has now become an issue on the new host.

Member Avatar for diafol

Strange. Do you have a .htaccess file in root? It could be a permissions issue - check chmod. Also redirects/custom error pages can sometimes cause it.
I've had all of these take up days of my life before now.

There are more than just one reason behind the 500 error, post the part of error log on the server of that particular date.It helps so identify the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.