I have a web application that I create that works great on my computer. I have an account with 1and1, so I uploaded the database and the files.

I am also using Linq to SQL, so I have a dbml file. But, everytime I run a function that needs the database, I get a file not found error.

I have doubts that it has to do something with Web.config file. This is the snippet for the connection part

<add name="dbEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*/common.dbModel.csdl|res://*/common.dbModel.ssdl|res://*/common.dbModel.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;Data Source=****.net,1433;Initial Catalog=db****;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=dbo*****;MultipleActiveResultSets=True&quot;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />

<add name="dbRxReliefConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=*****.net,1433;Initial Catalog=db*****;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=dbo******;Password=*******" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by asif671

Did you check whether the datasource is based on SQL Instance (server/SQLEXPRESS) ?

I know that it's an MSSQL database. How do I check if the instance is server/SQLEXPRESS?

Your hosting provider is supposed to provide the server instance.
Would be useful if you could provide the error with more detail and your sample code for debugging.

Here is more detail

I was given this connection string:

Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=*****.net,1433;Initial Catalog=db*********;User Id=dbo********;Password=*****;

And it is an MS SQL database.

So, I changed the Web.config files to this:

<add name="dbEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*/common.dbModel.csdl|res://*/common.dbModel.ssdl|res://*/common.dbModel.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string="Data Source=***.net,1433;Initial Catalog=db*******;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=dbo*******;MultipleActiveResultSets=True""providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />

<add name="dbSiteConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=********.net,1433;Initial Catalog=db*********;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=dbo*********;Password=*****" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

It's not working! Please help!

Thanks!

Edited by all4peace: n/a

Hi everyone,

Hmmmm... This is really bothering me...

So, I went to 1and1.com troubleshooting and found this code. I ran it with my connection string:

server=*****.net,1433; initial catalog=db*****;uid=dbo*****;pwd=*****

It actually worked!!! So, I said let me go back to my original code and see what's going on. So, I went to the dbml file and found this line:

<Connection Mode="WebSettings" ConnectionString="****" 
SettingsObjectName="System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings" SettingsPropertyName="<property-name>"
Provider="System.Data.SqlClient" />

The WebSettings means it will look into Web.config. I said, screw it! I'll just put the connection string there. (It works in my home computer)

<Connection Mode="ConnectionString" ConnectionString="*****" Provider="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Note: The connection string is exactly the same one that is used above! IT STILL DOESN'T WORK IN MY WEBSITE... :'( :@

Please help me here! Thanks,

Hello,

I'm in the exactly situation than you, I know this post is a bit old but I would appreciate so much if you can help me. How did you solved it? I'm becoming to be afraid that 1and1 doesn't support Entity Framework.

Thanks a lot

Hi dangior,

I had to use a different method other than Linq. The good news is that 1and1 now supports LINQ - may be my complaints worked.

Regards,
all4peace

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.