I just watched the "Taming the Web" video from 01/12/09 on Adobe TV which discusses how to use jQuery as a framework for AJAX development using Dreamweaver CS4. I am just beginning to learn about this stuff but it seemed to me that everything that the instructor did with jQuery was very similar to other videos that I have seen discussing Spry.

My question is: what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks!

Having used jQuery alot and spry very little I am perhaps biased towards jQuery but from what I have seen and used, Spry seems to be Adobe's play on providing rich "widgets" or controls via javascript whilst they are very good as you have said...

everything that the instructor did with jQuery was very similar to other videos that I have seen discussing Spry

jQuery in a nutshell is more robust than Spry as an API for client side web development as it not only caters for some UI components (some you will still need to create) using jQuery UI but covers the bases of what older libraries such as dojo achieved, also at this moment jQuery has a more active community.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.