Well having thought I'd got over all the hurdles of this damn database with my previous post, it seems I hadn't quite suffered enough, and have been thrown another challenge.

I have a piece of code which fills a form in with the current details of a car record.

Form
----

<form action="updatedCar.php" method="post">
        <input type="hidden" name="ud_stockNumber" value="<? echo $scn; ?>">
            Category: <input type="text" name="ud_Category" value="<? echo $Category; ?>"> 
        Must be either 'Classic', 'Modern', or 'Range_Rover'<br />
            Make: <input type="text" name="ud_Make" value="<? echo $Make; ?>"><br />
            Model: <input type="text" name="ud_Model" value="<? echo $Model; ?>"><br />
            Reg Year: <input type="text" name="ud_Reg_Year" value="<? echo $Reg_Year; ?>"><br />
            Reg Letter: <input type="text" name="ud_Reg_Letter" value="<? echo $Reg_Letter; ?>"><br />
            Mileage: <input type="text" name="ud_Mileage" value="<? echo $Mileage; ?>"><br />
            Price: <input type="text" name="ud_Price" value="<? echo $Price; ?>"><br />
            Price Alternate: <input type="text" name="ud_Price_Alternate" value="<? echo $Price_Alternate; ?>"><br />
            Description: <textarea id="TextArea1" cols="60" rows="4" name="ud_Description"><? echo $Description; ?></textarea><br />
            Image 1: <input type="text" name="ud_Image1" value="<? echo $Image1; ?>"><br />
            Image 2: <input type="text" name="ud_Image2" value="<? echo $Image2; ?>"><br />
            Image 3: <input type="text" name="ud_Image3" value="<? echo $Image3; ?>"><br />
            Image 4: <input type="text" name="ud_Image4" value="<? echo $Image4; ?>"><br />
        <input type="Submit" value="Update">
    </form>

The idea is that the user edits anything they like within the form, and clicks Update.

This then runs updatedCar.php

<?php

$ud_stockNumber=$_GET['ud_stockNumber'];
        $ud_Category=$_POST['ud_Category'];
        $ud_Make=$_POST['ud_Make'];
        $ud_Model=$_POST['ud_Model'];
        $ud_Reg_Year=$_POST['ud_Reg_Year'];
        $ud_Reg_Letter=$_POST['ud_Reg_Letter'];
        $ud_Mileage=$_POST['ud_Mileage'];
        $ud_Price=$_POST['ud_Price'];
        $ud_Price_Alternate=$_POST['ud_Price_Alternate'];
        $ud_Description=$_POST['ud_Description'];
        $ud_Image1=$_POST['ud_Image1'];
        $ud_Image2=$_POST['ud_Image2'];
        $ud_Image3=$_POST['ud_Image3'];
        $ud_Image4=$_POST['ud_Image4'];

$username="usrname";
        $password="pswrd";
        $database="dbName";

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);
        @mysql_select_db($database) or die( "Unable to select database");

$query="UPDATE cars SET Category='$ud_Category', Make='$ud_Make', Model='$ud_Model', Reg_Year='$ud_Reg_Year', Reg_Letter='$ud_Reg_Letter', Mileage='$ud_Mileage', Price='$ud_Price', Price_Alternate='$ud_Price_Alternate', Description='$ud_Description', Image1='$ud_Image1', Image2='$ud_Image2', Image3='$ud_Image3', Image4='$ud_Image4' WHERE ID='$ud_stockNumber'";
        mysql_query($query);
        echo "Record Updated";

mysql_close();

?>

But the database doesn't change.

Now from my reading of the tutorials, I can't find any differences between the sample code and my code, other than variable names.

Again, I think this could be a case of staring at code for too long...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Edited by rogerse: Missed info

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by rogerse

hi,
change database like this one

Category='$ud_Category'

to

Category='".$ud_Category."'

just to make it perfect and just see whether parameters are posting are not put

print_r($_POST)

after submit.
post here if any doubts

Have made the change you suggested ( '".$ud_Category."' etc.)

As for the print_r($_POST)...

Well if I'm reading the print output correctly (and having worked with php for oh, at least a week) I doubt it ;-)

Record UpdatedArray ( [ud_stockNumber] => 5 [ud_Category] => Range_Rover [ud_Make] => Range Rover [ud_Model] => Sport [ud_Reg_Year] => 2005 [ud_Reg_Letter] => Q [ud_Mileage] => 15000 [ud_Price] => [ud_Price_Alternate] => Coming Soon [ud_Description] => Sports version of the Range Rover [ud_Image1] => car.jpg [ud_Image2] => blank.jpg [ud_Image3] => blank.jpg [ud_Image4] => blank.jpg )

I'd say that meant that the record was being updated.
For reference, the original had a 'V' as the Reg Letter, I changed it to a 'Q'.

But the database doesn't change.

execute this query

$query="UPDATE cars SET `Category`='".$ud_Category."', `Make`='".$ud_Make."', `Model`='".$ud_Model."', `Reg_Year`='".$ud_Reg_Year."', `Reg_Letter`='".$ud_Reg_Letter."', `Mileage`='".$ud_Mileage."', `Price`='".$ud_Price."', `Price_Alternate`='".$ud_Price_Alternate."', `Description`='".$ud_Description."', `Image1`='".$ud_Image1."', `Image2`='".$ud_Image2."', `Image3`='".$ud_Image3."', `Image4`='".$ud_Image4."' WHERE `ID`='".$ud_stockNumber."'";

if you dont get it echo it and paste it to mysql and see what the error is. let us know what mysql says

Edited by praveen_dusari: n/a

$ud_stockNumber=$_GET;
here you are using get method but you sent values in post method so when you are trying to update it is not updated because $ud_stockNumber contains null value.
so take $ud_stockNumber=$_POST;

Not sure I quite follow you there.

The query you say to execute is the query that is set to execute already, and I'm not sure what you then want me to echo.

I tried echoing that whole query but just get a parse error.

Ah, cheers, your second post worked.
Changed it from _GET to _POST

I'd been using _GET with a page earlier which retrieved a value sent with the URL.

Cheers for your help.

i test your code no error's on this:

$query="UPDATE cars SET Category='$ud_Category', Make='$ud_Make', Model='$ud_Model', Reg_Year='$ud_Reg_Year', Reg_Letter='$ud_Reg_Letter', Mileage='$ud_Mileage', Price='$ud_Price', Price_Alternate='$ud_Price_Alternate', Description='$ud_Description', Image1='$ud_Image1', Image2='$ud_Image2', Image3='$ud_Image3', Image4='$ud_Image4' WHERE ID='$ud_stockNumber'";

Can you change this to POST in updatedCar.php.
$ud_stockNumber=$_POST['ud_stockNumber'];

see your hidden field my friend.

Edited by phpbeginners: n/a

I take it back!
Everything can be updated, except for the Price :S

Updated code, its almost identical to the previous code though.

The Form
-----------

<form action="updatedCar.php" method="post">
        <input type="hidden" name="ud_stockNumber" value="<? echo $scn; ?>">
            Category: <input type="text" name="ud_Category" value="<? echo $Category; ?>"> 
        Must be either &#39;Classic&#39;, &#39;Modern&#39;, or &#39;Range_Rover&#39;<br />
            Make: <input type="text" name="ud_Make" value="<? echo $Make; ?>"><br />
            Model: <input type="text" name="ud_Model" value="<? echo $Model; ?>"><br />
            Reg Year: <input type="text" name="ud_Reg_Year" value="<? echo $Reg_Year; ?>"><br />
            Reg Letter: <input type="text" name="ud_Reg_Letter" value="<? echo $Reg_Letter; ?>"><br />
            Mileage: <input type="text" name="ud_Mileage" value="<? echo $Mileage; ?>"><br />
            Price: <input type="text" name="ud_Price" value="<? echo $Price; ?>"><br />
            Price Alternate: <input type="text" name="ud_Price_Alternate" value="<? echo $Price_Alternate; ?>"><br />
            Description: <textarea id="TextArea1" cols="60" rows="4" name="ud_Description"><? echo $Description; ?></textarea><br />
            Image 1: <input type="text" name="ud_Image1" value="<? echo $Image1; ?>"><br />
            Image 2: <input type="text" name="ud_Image2" value="<? echo $Image2; ?>"><br />
            Image 3: <input type="text" name="ud_Image3" value="<? echo $Image3; ?>"><br />
            Image 4: <input type="text" name="ud_Image4" value="<? echo $Image4; ?>"><br />
        <input type="Submit" value="Update">
    </form>

updatedCar.php

<?php

$ud_stockNumber=$_POST['ud_stockNumber'];
        $ud_Category=$_POST['ud_Category'];
        $ud_Make=$_POST['ud_Make'];
        $ud_Model=$_POST['ud_Model'];
        $ud_Reg_Year=$_POST['ud_Reg_Year'];
        $ud_Reg_Letter=$_POST['ud_Reg_Letter'];
        $ud_Mileage=$_POST['ud_Mileage'];
        $ud_Price=$_POST['ud_Price'];
        $ud_Price_Alternate=$_POST['ud_Price_Alternate'];
        $ud_Description=$_POST['ud_Description'];
        $ud_Image1=$_POST['ud_Image1'];
        $ud_Image2=$_POST['ud_Image2'];
        $ud_Image3=$_POST['ud_Image3'];
        $ud_Image4=$_POST['ud_Image4'];

$username="edmundr1_peterhu";
        $password="austin1300";
        $database="edmundr1_carsForSale";

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);
        @mysql_select_db($database) or die( "Unable to select database");

$query="UPDATE cars SET Category='".$ud_Category."', Make='".$ud_Make."', Model='".$ud_Model."', Reg_Year='".$ud_Reg_Year."', Reg_Letter='".$ud_Reg_Letter."', Mileage='".$ud_Mileage."', Price='".$ud_Price."', Price_Alternate='".$ud_Price_Alternate."', Description='".$ud_Description."', Image1='".$ud_Image1."', Image2='".$ud_Image2."', Image3='".$ud_Image3."', Image4='".$ud_Image4."' WHERE ID='".$ud_stockNumber."'";
        mysql_query($query);
        echo "Record Updated";

mysql_close();

?>

check once bd field names and it's types, field names correctly in the update query check once.

Sorry I have read through that several times and still can't quite understand what you are suggesting, other than checking that the field types are correct, which as far as I can tell they are, there are no errors that I can see in my naming between the two pages.

It appears to only be when I try to set it to a NULL value (when Price_Alternate takes over instead of an actual price)
The table keeps setting the price to 0.

Is there a way round this?

Cheers.

Edited by rogerse: n/a

change your database structure in your amount 
price decimal(12,2)
   instead of
price int(8)

control your price if they type comma.
$ud_priceX = str_replace(",","",$ud_price); 

$ud_priceX put this in your $query.

Edited by phpbeginners: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.