I'm still new at this.. but I'm trying to create a blog on my website and I'm using blogengine.net. Everything works fine on my local machine but when I upload it to my website I get this error:

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 7: </configSections>
Line 8: <BlogEngine>
Line 9: <blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">
Line 10: <providers>
Line 11: <add name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core"/>

Wondering if anyone can tell me what this means or how to fix it. If you need for information about my files just let me know.

That basically means the web.config file supplied with BlogEngine.NET includes some settings that are application-level. The fact that you are seeing the error means that you have the blog off of the root directory of your site, probably like the following?

www.yoursite.com/blog

Is that correct? If so, the blog subdirectory needs to be configured as its own application within IIS. If you have control over the server, you can go into IIS Manager and make the changes yourself. If it is being hosted for you by a company like GoDaddy, Dotster, etc., you will need to work with your host to have the settings changed. Your other option is to move the blog into the root directory of the website, but you would need to integrate any settings you might have in the root's web.config file with what is in the blog application. The best approach is to keep the blog seperate and work with your host to get everything configured properly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.