Hi,

I'm trying to just grab a small column of data from a Database and return it.

This is a function called getAccessLevel(), it returns the Access level which is an integer.
There is a table called users in the DB and the column access holds either 0, 1, or 2 to determine what users access level is. I'm trying to get the access level of a user that has the matching ID.

This is what I have thus far (**** to cover certain privacy things):

include("functions/global_functions.php");
$link = connectDatabase();
$mydb = mysql_select_db($dbname)or die("Can't select");
$userID = getID();
$query = "SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE 'id'='$userID'";
$result = mysql_query($query);

$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

mysql_free_result($result);

return $row['access'];

My function methods have worked in other pages, but I just haven't done that query or row fetch to isolate a single row before...I don't understand why this doesn't work.

Any help would be terrific, if you need more explanation just let me know! Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

change return to echo and see if anything is displayed. Your code looks OK, but is getID() grabbing an id in the first place?

you could do

echo $query;

to see if your query is correct - if you get a sensible output, paste it into myphpadmin (SQL tab) to see if a record is returned.

Maybe it's messing up at getID(). I'll look into that and also change that statement to echo.

Thanks.

Fixed it! I was getting the userID from a session cookie, but I had the username being saved in this instead of an ID. So it was trying to compare equivalency of an integer to a string.

Thank you for the quick reply, helped me out a lot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.