I have to be honest. I am about to quit college and I just recently started. I have no clue about this assignment. I need help...badly.

For the lab this week, you will need to connect to data via JDBC and run a query such that the result is displayed by your program. Your data source should contain at least a few of the records listed in the UnitedStatesCaps.csv file. (Consider loading some of those rows into a table of your database.)

Here's the assignment: For the lab this week, you will need to connect to data via JDBC and run a query such that the result is displayed by your program. Your data source should contain at least a few of the records listed in the UnitedStatesCaps.csv file. (Consider loading some of those rows into a table of your database.)

*I tried doing this in access 2007...I just don't no what to do here. I am in the state of Georgia.

For full credit, your program should perform the lookup of the state capital via a JDBC connection. The database (if any) you use is up to you. It is possible sometimes to use the text file directly as a database if you have the right kind of driver on your system. Make sure you upload the following in your response...

1. The name of the driver you used for your JDBC connection to the data
2. The kind of database you used (e.g., MySQL, SQL Server, Access, raw text, etc)
3. Upload a screenshot proving that your program successfully retrieves the information via JDBC

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Ok, well JDBC stands for Java DataBase Connectivity, so I'm guessing you need to write your program in java. Check out this tutorial, if you get stuck on the concepts please post your attempt and where you are struggling. Sorry but we aren't allowed to just do your assignment for you.

The problem is, I don't know how to get started.

Member Avatar for diafol

I have to be honest. I am about to quit college and I just recently started. I have no clue about this assignment. I need help...badly.

College isn't for everybody. If you're blubbing after a few weeks, you've probably chosen the wrong course.

If you couldn't find a Google result for using JDBC, then you have definitely chosen the wrong course.

Get a job?

There's no need to be ugly, I'm sure you have had a hard time in your life as well. Everyone hits a wall sometimes. The problem is: People forget where they came from, and who helped them along the way. None of us got where we are by ourselves...try to remember that ARDAV. Don't worry, I want log on again to this site. I came for help, not a personal attack. Next time some log on for help...just say no if you can't help. One day you will need help again in your life...and hopefully you will remember this very moment.

God bless you!

Member Avatar for diafol

There's no need to be ugly, I'm sure you have had a hard time in your life as well. Everyone hits a wall sometimes. The problem is: People forget where they came from, and who helped them along the way. None of us got where we are by ourselves...try to remember that ARDAV. Don't worry, I want log on again to this site. I came for help, not a personal attack. Next time some log on for help...just say no if you can't help. One day you will need help again in your life...and hopefully you will remember this very moment.

God bless you!

Didn't say I couldn't help you, just that you've taken an IT course and can't use Google to find out about JDBC. Sorry, that's just lame.

As for having a hard time - yep, but I do know how to use Google. Ugly? Yep. I married a pretty woman just to make me look even uglier. Personal attack? Oh, get over yourself already.

"One day you will need help again in your life...and hopefully you will remember this very moment." Hmm, probably not.

stardustmeri,

Read through your lecture notes, check out that tutorial i posted a link to, have a try at writing some code, if you get stuck post some questions in the Java forum and there will be people there who can help you out. Try not to beat yourself up about it, learning is a step by step process, and JDBC is (semi)-advanced Java. I would have thought that this would definatley not be a first assignment in a beginner's Java course.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.