Hello, I'm just starting to use PHP after years of working with ASP, so pardon me if this sounds like a very basic question, but how do I get PHP to acknowledge zero (0) in a form field. Whenever the user enters "zero" and hits submit on the PHP form, it totally ignores the zero.

I am inserting the value into a MYSQL database and I initially thought I was setting my field type wrong, but running the SQL command with zero through PHPAdmin inserts the zero without any problem. I then echo'ed the formfield and found that it wasn't posting the zero at all--

echo $_POST[$stepnow]; yeilds nothing
echo "$_POST[$stepnow]"; yeilds nothing

I've also tried all the convert to string functions I can find and I've seached the web for a solution--all with no results. It appears that PHP is simply discarding the zero during the POST process. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

May help to post some more of your code.

But I assume you are running an empty() check on the POST vars?
From the PHP manual:

Returns FALSE if var  has a non-empty and non-zero value.

The following things are considered to be empty:

* "" …
Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

May help to post some more of your code.

But I assume you are running an empty() check on the POST vars?
From the PHP manual:

Returns FALSE if var  has a non-empty and non-zero value.

The following things are considered to be empty:

* "" (an empty string)
    * 0 (0 as an integer)
    * "0" (0 as a string)
    * NULL
    * FALSE
    * array() (an empty array)
    * var $var; (a variable declared, but without a value in a class)

I would say in this case possibly use the isset() instead, this will return false on a NULL value, rather than a 0.

Otherwise, post the code so we can look.

Thanks Will, changing to ISSET solved the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.