Hi and I remember reading in a really old topic that somebody here was able to write a chatroom without using mysql or any other database system. Can somebody explain how this is possible with just javascript and ajax? What I want to do is to have a script that won't record the conversation on the server but instead send the data directly between the client machines. I'm clueless on how to do this so can sombody please explain as I have already done the login and css.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I did it a while ago, but it used the file system to store messages.

To do what you are wanting you would need to use a php socket server and flash. I don't think its possible without those.

You might be able to create the socket server and then have ajax call a php script that queries the socket server for new messages.

commented: Happy post 1,234 +5

I did it a while ago, but it used the file system to store messages.

To do what you are wanting you would need to use a php socket server and flash. I don't think its possible without those.

You might be able to create the socket server and then have ajax call a php script that queries the socket server for new messages.

Happy post 1234 as shown in your post count and seems like it would be a hard one to create as flash is the devil. Also I haven't really used sockets and have a basic knowledge of flash and Java. I guess this one is a bit too advanced for me. So mysql it is. Thanks for the heads up anyways. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.