Hi,

I have a web form in vb that I am writing and I am stuck on getting th evalue of one cell in a row when the checkbox is checked so that I can insert that value into a table in an access database.
Can anybody help on this?
I have spent a couple of days on this already and have gotten nowhere. I have looked at dozens of examples and a few tutorials, but nothing works.
Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by clausont

I have this basically working, but I have some issues that I am still working on here. There are five columns in the table that need to be updated. With the current statement, I get an error:

Number of query values and destination fields are not the same.

I need to have a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 5 checkboxes checked to update the database. I have not been able to get an update statement to function correctly - I am just doing something wrong, but not sure what.
Can anyone help with the gridview checkbox validation and with the sql update statement?
Thanks in advance

Protected Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
        Dim command2 As String = "DELETE * from [Selections]"

Dim command As String = "insert into [Selections] ([Selection1], [Selection2], [Selection3], [Selection4], [Selection5]) VALUES("
        For Each gvRow As GridViewRow In GridView1.Rows 'itterate tru all rows  
            Dim chkBox As CheckBox = CType(gvRow.FindControl("chkBox"), CheckBox)
            If chkBox.Checked Then
                command &= "'" & gvRow.Cells(1).Text & "',"
            Else
                command &= ""
                Dim ID = CType(gvRow.Cells(1).Text, String)
            End If
        Next
        command &= ")"
        command = command.Replace(",)", ")") 'replacing the last ,) to only )  
        Response.Write(command2)
        Response.Write(command)
        Dim sqlcon As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=[connectionstring]")
        Dim sqlComm2 As New OleDbCommand()
        sqlComm2.Connection = sqlcon
        sqlComm2.CommandText = command2
        Dim sqlComm As New OleDbCommand()
        sqlComm.Connection = sqlcon
        sqlComm.CommandText = command

Using (sqlcon)
            sqlcon.Open()
            sqlComm2.ExecuteNonQuery()
            sqlComm.ExecuteNonQuery()
        End Using

End Sub

Edited by clausont: n/a

exception says you supplying less number of parameters..

please map your parameter correctly while writing a query..

Thank you. The gridview code is posted below.
DNANetwork - that is the problem - I apparently do not know how to write it correctly. That is why I am asking for help. Can you give me an example?

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowSorting="True" AutoGenerateColumns="False" 
                 BackColor="White" BorderColor="Blue" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="1px" 
                 CellPadding="1" DataSourceID="DataSource1" EmptyDataText="N/A" 
                 Font-Names="Arial" Font-Size="XX-Small" ForeColor="#333333" Height="15px" 
                 HorizontalAlign="Center" ShowFooter="True" Width="95%"><RowStyle 
                     BackColor="#F7F6F3" BorderColor="Blue" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="1px" 
                     Font-Names="Arial" Font-Size="XX-Small" ForeColor="#333333" 
                     HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Middle" Width="6%" /><EmptyDataRowStyle 
                     HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Middle" Width="6%" /><Columns><asp:TemplateField 
                         HeaderText="Compare"><ItemTemplate><asp:CheckBox ID="chkbox" 
                             runat="server" /></ItemTemplate></asp:TemplateField><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="PlanID" HeaderText="PlanID" SortExpression="PlanID" /><asp:ImageField 
                         DataImageUrlField="Logo" HeaderText="Company"></asp:ImageField><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="Plan_Name" HeaderText="Plan Name" SortExpression="Plan_Name" /><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="Monthly" DataFormatString="{0:c}" 
                         HeaderText="Monthly" HtmlEncode="False" ReadOnly="True" 
                         SortExpression="Monthly" /><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="Individual" HeaderText="Individual" 
                         SortExpression="Individual" /><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="Features" HeaderText="Features" 
                         SortExpression="Features" /><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="Enhanced" HeaderText="Enhanced" 
                         SortExpression="Enhanced" /><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="Accident" HeaderText="Accident" 
                         SortExpression="Accident" /><asp:BoundField DataField="Card" 
                         HeaderText="Card" SortExpression="Card" /><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="column1" HeaderText="Network" 
                         SortExpression="column1" /><asp:BoundField DataField="column2" 
                         HeaderText="Maximum" SortExpression="column2" /><asp:BoundField 
                         DataField="column3" HeaderText="Out Of Network" 
                         SortExpression="column3" /><asp:BoundField DataField="column4" 
                         HeaderText="Out Of Network" SortExpression="column4" /></Columns><FooterStyle 
                     BackColor="#5D7B9D" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" Width="6%" /><PagerStyle 
                     BackColor="#284775" ForeColor="White" HorizontalAlign="Center" Width="6%" /><SelectedRowStyle 
                     BackColor="#E2DED6" BorderColor="Blue" BorderWidth="2px" Font-Bold="True" 
                     Font-Names="Arial" Font-Size="XX-Small" ForeColor="#333333" 
                     HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Middle" Width="6%" /><HeaderStyle 
                     BackColor="#cfdfef" BorderColor="Blue" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="1px" 
                     Font-Bold="False" Font-Names="Arial" Font-Size="X-Small" ForeColor="Black" 
                     Height="40px" HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Middle" Width="6%" /><EditRowStyle 
                     BackColor="#999999" BorderColor="Black" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="3px" 
                     Font-Names="Arial" Font-Size="XX-Small" ForeColor="Black" 
                     HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Middle" Width="6%" /><AlternatingRowStyle 
                     BackColor="White" BorderColor="Blue" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="1px" 
                     Font-Names="Arial" Font-Size="XX-Small" ForeColor="Black" 
                     HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Middle" Width="6%" /></asp:GridView>
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.