Hi Everyone.

I'm busy with a advanced search function, what I want to do is when a client clicks on a tab/button it should open a windows where he can define his search even more. If anyone could point me in the right direction of what I can use or do.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi Everyone.

I'm busy with a advanced search function, what I want to do is when a client clicks on a tab/button it should open a windows where he can define his search even more. If anyone could point me in the right direction of what I can use or do.

Thanks

Hi Sorry.

It's a PHP, MySQL search function.

Regards

You have to do it with JavaScript. When the user clicks the button a new div should be added or made visible in the body of the document in a layer on top of everything else (higher z-index, meaning it must also have absolute position). The easiest way to do this would be with the JS library jQuery since it's learning curve is also very low. There should also probably be some plugin for this on the jQuery plugin page :) Hope it's enough info to get you going!

If your problem has been solved, please also mark the thread as solved :)

If your problem has been solved, please also mark the thread as solved :)

Hi There

It's not been resolved. But don't think I will be getting any help on this post. I will close en by the end of this week if I don't have a solution.

Thanks

EDIT: No need to be rude LRNPHP. We're trying the best we can to help. If you didn't think you'd get help with your question, why did you post in the first place? All of us are volunteers here. Please respect that!

If you want a new window, I suggest looking into JavaScript's window.open(). It's ugly, outdated, and sometimes doesn't play nice with pop-up blockers, but it's what you asked for. Gunnarflex has a better solution for this as modal windows are much more elegant than pop-ups. You might also benefit from a neat trick such as replacing the original search box with several ones prefixed with refined options.
If this is not the solution to your problem, can you please explain your question. Exactly what are you looking for? I think we satisfied the need of the pop-up/modal window you asked for. Would you like help with the actual advanced search page?
We're not mind readers here! ;)
Help us help you.

Best,
PhpMyCoder

EDIT: No need to be rude LRNPHP. We're trying the best we can to help. If you didn't think you'd get help with your question, why did you post in the first place? All of us are volunteers here. Please respect that!

If you want a new window, I suggest looking into JavaScript's window.open(). It's ugly, outdated, and sometimes doesn't play nice with pop-up blockers, but it's what you asked for. Gunnarflex has a better solution for this as modal windows are much more elegant than pop-ups. You might also benefit from a neat trick such as replacing the original search box with several ones prefixed with refined options.
If this is not the solution to your problem, can you please explain your question. Exactly what are you looking for? I think we satisfied the need of the pop-up/modal window you asked for. Would you like help with the actual advanced search page?
We're not mind readers here! ;)
Help us help you.

Best,
PhpMyCoder

Hi There.

Sorry if I came over to be rude that was not the intention. Thanks for everyone's help. This post is closed for now.

Regards

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.