Hi all,

I am able to run perfectly the following

<li><a href="javascript:ajaxpage('login.php', 'ajax');">Login</a></li>

But not the following

echo "Welcome Guest!<br><a href=javascript:ajaxpage('login.php', 'ajax');>"

I removed the " around the javascript:ajaxpage('login.php'); as it was giving me syntax error. But I am unable to cal login .php upon clicking Login.

I tried various combination of single quote and double quote but I think I am missing some fundamental rules of single and double quote combination....or may be something else.

Please make me understand.....

Thanks in advance
Gauri

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by hielo

you need to prefix the double quote with a slash if your echo command uses the double
quotes:

echo "Welcome Guest!<br><a href='#' onclick=\"javascript:ajaxpage('login.php', 'ajax');\">"

Here's another implementation:

echo 'Welcome Guest!<br><a href="#" onclick="javascript:ajaxpage(\'login.php\', \'ajax\');">'

and another (look up the sprintf() function on the php.net site if it is not obvious to you what it is doing):

echo sprintf('Welcome Guest!<br><a href="#" onclick="%s">'
              ,"javascript:ajaxpage('login.php', 'ajax');");

and another one:

//begin echoing UNTIL you find the line that STARTS with the matching MYLINK+semicolon
echo <<<MYLINK
               Welcome Guest!<br><a href="javascript:ajaxpage('login.php', 'ajax');">
MYLINK;
/*on the line above, there MUST be a newline IMMEDIATELY after the semicolon. You cannot have any blanks between the semicolon and the newline; otherwise you will get a runtime error.*/

Edited by hielo: typo

Thanks Hielo. The last solution worked. Just to let you know that the first two solution telling the syntax mistake. I am novice so can't correct. What is <b></b> doing in last solution. I removed this as with out this also I am getting my result.

Warm Regards
Gauri

The first two are missing a semicolon at the very end to "end" the echo statement.
as for the <b></b>, I believe that is added by the text area where on this site (where I am typing this response). I've noticed it only when I click on "Toggle Plain Text" to get the plain text for editing, but if I click on it again (so it reverts to hmtl) it is invisible (since it IS HTML). Long story short, it should not have been there.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.