I've just landed myself in it. I offered to help out with a programming club at our school. Doh! The school is lumbered with VB6. I refuse to dirty my hands with it - the last time was about a 1000 years ago. I proposed to do a starter on php/mysql. I just need some insights into how you'd go about it. Here's my list so far. If you disagree - please say so. BTW these kids are 14/15 year olds without any prior experience of programming.
1) Install php/mysql/apache/ftp client/ide onto home machine (I'm suggesting xampp and filezilla client and Notepad++).
2) Basics - php tags, 'echo' and quotes, simple variables (Variables I) and operators (+,.,-).
3) Control Structures I: if..elseif..else.
4) Variables II: arrays - associative and lists
5) Control Structures II: switch.
6) Loops: while.
7) Functions I: built-in. (some will have been met already in 2-6)
8) Functions II: custom.
9) Files: creating/moving/copying/deleting and writing/reading.
I'll be giving tips on security and 'tidy' code practices as we go along. Does this seem OK as a starting point? Thinking of introducing MySQL after all that.