I have a file(File1) in the root directory(Root). There is also a directory(Dir) in the root directory which contains File2.

File2.php

<?php
include'/*I need to include file1 here*/'
//
?>

How do I include file1 in file2?

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by somedude3488

This has failed miserably:'(

include("../file1");

And this

include('dir/file_1.php');

does not work.

The first1 takes

../file1

to be a file name. And the second once wants to believe dir is a directory in Dir.

Coming to think of it, this does work

include("../file1");

It includes file1 if it is in a directory which is 1 level higher than the directory in which is contained the file that includes file1.

Root/file1.php
Root/Dir/file2.php

... And what more do I need if file2 was in dir0

Root/Dir/Dir0/file2.php

Tell you what, this 'relative' referencing does my head in, especially when you have files in different folders including the same file which itself includes other files.

How about a cheat absolute:

include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/path/to/file/file.ext");

You could create a constant in your main include file (e.g. config.php) which holds the hard-coded document root info as opposed to using a superglobal variable. You only really need to use this on '2nd generation include files' - the ones that are referenced by other include files. Does that make sense?

Suppossedly, I,ve been denied access to the root directory

// This is the directory tree
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/home/a2246674/public_html/
//And my root directory is public_html
/*
Warning: include() [function.include]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/apache/htdocs/home/a2246674/public_html/Dir0/Dir1/dir2/file1.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/:/usr/lib/php:/tmp)
*/

OK, so does the $_SERVER not work for you? Have you got free hosting? If so, perhaps you should consider a paid account. If the superglobal doesn't work, I don't know of any substitute. Sorry.

Sometimes $_SERVER doesn't display the right path. /usr/local/apache/ etc. should not be there.

Do: echo __FILE__; . That should show you the real that should work.

Edited by somedude3488: n/a

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.