I want a text field which should have database values....(like dropdown list) from that list i can select text which is in database...

Can any one help me out its very urgent.......

once see www.justdial.com under "City" text box i want exactly like that ...i also want to match the values like that...

can any one please help me out.its urgent

Recommended Answers

jQuery uses AJAX to get the required values, so what is the issue.

Jump to Post

What is the problem with this code ? What error do you get, or what doesn't it do ?

Jump to Post

Just take the communication part and adjust it to what you need.

Jump to Post

All 14 Replies

TO : pritaeas

Thanks for replying...but actually i want only by using Ajax,JSp,MySql,Html........

Please help me out its urgent

jQuery uses AJAX to get the required values, so what is the issue.

city.JSP

<%@page import="java.sql.*"%>
 <html>
 <head>

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
      var xmlHttp
      var xmlHttp
      function showState(str){
      if (typeof XMLHttpRequest != "undefined"){
      xmlHttp= new XMLHttpRequest();
      }
      else if (window.ActiveXObject){
      xmlHttp= new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
      }
      if (xmlHttp==null){
      alert("Browser does not support XMLHTTP Request")
      return;
      }
      var url="div_city.jsp";
      url +="?count=" +str;
      xmlHttp.onreadystatechange = stateChange;
      xmlHttp.open("GET", url, true);
      xmlHttp.send(null);
      }

function stateChange(){
      if (xmlHttp.readyState==4 || xmlHttp.readyState=="complete"){
      document.getElementById("div_city").innerHTML=xmlHttp.responseText
      }
      }

</script>
 </head>
 <body>

City<input type="text" name="city" id="city" onkeyup="showState(this.value)"></td>
 <br>
 <div id='div_city'>
 </div>
   </body></center>
 </html>

div_city.jsp

<%@page contentType="text/html" pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<%@page import="java.sql.*"%>
 <%
 String name=request.getParameter("count");
 String buffer="<div>";
 Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();
 Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/Prashanth","root","");
 Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
 ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("Select cityname from city where cityname LIKE '%"+name+"%'");
   while(rs.next()){
   buffer=buffer+"<input type='text' name='city' value="+rs.getString("cityname")+">"+"<br>";
   }
 buffer=buffer+"</div>";
 response.getWriter().println(buffer);
 %>

This is my actual code but its not working.......

What is the problem with this code ? What error do you get, or what doesn't it do ?

It doesnt give errors but live search is not happening...for example if i type "a" letter in text field it searches the database and display 5 different text fields and i am onable to select in my city field....

I think the input's are a weird choice for showing your possibilities. I think a normal div containing links would be a more sensible choice. You'll need to add some javascript to each link, so when it is clicked, it will be copied to main editbox. Have a look at this demo.

Re: ajax live search
I think the input's are a weird choice for showing your possibilities. I think a normal div containing links would be a more sensible choice. You'll need to add some javascript to each link, so when it is clicked, it will be copied to main editbox. Have a look at this demo.

that demo you gave was a good one....but it is not taking values from database .....I want the values to be taken from database.....

There are a lot of examples in this forum on how to do that. Just search for XMLHttpRequest.

There are a lot of examples in this forum on how to do that. Just search for XMLHttpRequest.

i tried each and every one but i couldn't find it...all of them are in dropdown list only i want it in text field search

Just take the communication part and adjust it to what you need.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.