A friend of my recently asked me to help him set up a web based radio. Upon doing some research I found he has only original content (not copy right stuff), all static mp3 files, not live talk, and wants to loop the audio.

I've found sites like radionomy and some free shoutcast hosting sites but they all either inject ads into the audio or make you use a page covered in ads.

I got to thinking: In .NET/asp I can set the headers/mime type of my page as say pdf/excel file/zip file etc and the browser offers it as a download.

In PHP (his server only supports php) is it possible to set a file mime type as some sort of streaming file m3u or something? It would of course need to keep serving mp3s so when one finished another one would start.

Curious if anyone has some input on the subject matter!

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Why not just download shoutcast server and install on your friends server? That way you have the back bone to produce online radio, by using winamp to stream content to the shoutcast server, and listeners can tune in.

If you are looking for a server side auto dj, most streaming hosting companies do supply them, so yes, if you know how, you will have to program one yourself.

I use shoutcast with an auto DJ as well as live broadcasting, on a remote hosted server, and that auto dj cost me around 5 us dollars per month, because I can't program my own.

Why not just download shoutcast server and install on your friends server? That way you have the back bone to produce online radio, by using winamp to stream content to the shoutcast server, and listeners can tune in.

Will shoutcast run on a shared hosting environment? I was under the impression you needed a dedicated server to install it.

It will run on a vps type, you don't need dedicated, vps is ok, unfortunatly, not normal shared hosting.

It will run on a vps type, you don't need dedicated, vps is ok, unfortunatly, not normal shared hosting.

Ah, thanks for that. I just found out he ordered shared hosting today so I'll try to run a solution on that. Might convince him to upgrade though, depending on expected volumes.

VPS hosting is not that much more expensive, buy hey, why don't he just host the radio at one of the streaming service providers, then he will have shoutcast and an auto DJ, and that for far less than a vps. I am not connected financially at all to one such provider, and the smallest packet will cost him in the region of about 5 to 15 dollars per month, if his interested, pm me I will give you the details, as I do not believe marketing that provider is the reason for me to post here, but I surely can recommend them out of experience.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.