I built a file upload control in Silverlight that uploads files to the web server. I use a custom HTTP Handler to handle the upload.

What would be the best practice to detect a whether a client has disconnected prior to finishing the upload?

I think this could go under C# and windows development as well.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

if client prior to finish upload we can not do anything

The only thing I could think of is a manual timeout... using a timer of some form, but I don't know how efficient that would be.

Do you have a way of detecting how much data was sent and how much was received?

Actually, I do.

Perhaps try using some sort of timer and check back on file upload progress every x seconds/minutes. If it stops after a certain period of time and the full amount of data has not been transferred, then perform whatever logic you desire.

That's kind what I was thinking, however, I was trying to see if there are any alternatives. It's not looking likely.

IsClientConnected()

Something like that wouldn't really work because of the disconnected nature of the internet. HTTP is stateless.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.