So i've got a little problem. I'm just running a website for fun, got it from a friend because he didn't need it anymore. Site is called: fapperd.nl

Now i'm really happy with me installing a phpbb forum on my server and made a button for the forum as you can see.

BUT now, I changed the permalinks to /%postname%/ now i changed it to /%category%/%postname%/. Doesnt make any difference, because I did not know where to place the forum i just placed it in my public_html folder. So i've made page on wordpress with the name forum, and the permalink fapperd.nl/forum. Ofcourse in my database it thinks when its directed by the client that he needs to show the forum because thats what in my root, so that's what it does, and im happy with it. (I didn't have to make any button for the forum hehe).

But now, I wanted to create a page for info etc. it's called "Onze website". But the permalink= fapperd.nl/onze-website/. Of course now I understand that when it searches for forum and it directs to the root map forum that he wants to do this with the "Onze website" too, but there i no map or file called onze-website, so it cant find it. Now the server says there is not a page "Onze website".

How am I going to change this that the forum AND the button for "Onze website" works?

Not Found

The requested URL /onze-website/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2 Server at fapperd.nl Port 80

This is the error.

I do understand a little bit where i am going, that's or making a new permalink and seperate the 2 pages.(don't know how to do this so this is not an option for me at this point). Or I need to do some things with my ftp program or in mySQL database. I did searched for my wp_posts and found that change I can some things at my pages and posts in my mySQL database.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Extra header code, when i go into google chrome and go for "Inspect element". I have a code that give me some information where it begins with <!--This controls pages navigation bar-->, so i thought i was on the good page :)

HEADER CODE

<?php global $basic_color_scheme, $basic_grab_image, $basic_catnum_posts; ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" <?php language_attributes(); ?>>
<head profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="<?php bloginfo('html_type'); ?>; charset=<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>" />
<title><?php elegant_titles(); ?></title>
<?php elegant_description(); ?> 
<?php elegant_keywords(); ?> 
<?php elegant_canonical(); ?>

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="<?php bloginfo('name'); ?> RSS Feed" href="<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="<?php bloginfo('name'); ?> Atom Feed" href="<?php bloginfo('atom_url'); ?>" />
<link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo('pingback_url'); ?>" />
<!--[if IE 7]>	
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/iestyle.css" />
<![endif]-->
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/ie6style.css" />
<script defer type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/js/pngfix.js"></script>
<![endif]-->

<?php if ( is_singular() ) wp_enqueue_script( 'comment-reply' ); ?>
<?php wp_head(); ?>
</head>
<body>
<!--This controls pages navigation bar-->
<div id="pages">
	<?php $menuClass = 'nav superfish';
	$primaryNav = '';

if (function_exists('wp_nav_menu')) {
		$primaryNav = wp_nav_menu( array( 'theme_location' => 'primary-menu', 'container' => '', 'fallback_cb' => '', 'menu_class' => $menuClass, 'echo' => false ) );
	};
	if ($primaryNav == '') { ?>
		<ul class="<?php echo $menuClass; ?>">
			<?php if (get_option('basic_home_link') == 'on') { ?>
				<li <?php if (is_home()) echo('class="current_page_item"') ?>><a href="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>"><?php _e('Home','Basic') ?></a></li>
			<?php }; ?>

<?php
			if (get_option('basic_swap_navbar') == 'false') {
				show_page_menu($menuClass,false,false);
			} else {
				show_categories_menu($menuClass,false);
			}; ?>
		</ul> <!-- end ul.nav -->
	<?php }
	else echo($primaryNav); ?>

<div id="search">
        <form method="get" action="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>" style="padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px">
            <input type="text"  name="s" value="<?php echo esc_html($s, 1); ?>"/>
            <input type="image" class="input" src="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/images/search-<?php echo $basic_color_scheme; ?>.gif" value="<?php _e('submit','Basic') ?>"/>
        </form>
    </div>
</div>
<!--End pages navigation-->
<div id="wrapper2">

I had an idea of making the permalink back to the normal thing, and then changing the redirect link in the code for the button into (i think it should have been fapperd.nl/?page_id=370) fapperd.nl/forum/ so the "onze website" button will redirect to fapperd.nl?page_id=380 and the "forum" button redirects to fapperd.nl/forum/

That's the solution to my problem, but how do I solve this?

Not a bad idea, is it? I'm really curious what you guys think,

Hi,

can you provide your admin details for temporary period of time ? to solve your problem.

Dont understand you? You want my login details? And for what would you want it, for my ftp/mysql or wordpress? And why you just cant help me without logging in??

Providing admin details to strangers asking it in a public forum, is just not done at all. Asking for admin details on a public forum to solve a problem, is far fetched.

@Dannis

From your post, it is not clear to me what it is that you want to accomplish?

What I can make out, is that you have a wordpress site and a forum site both in the same public_html directory?

Hopefully they are in different folders?

commented: Great help thanks +2

Yes providing the admin details was kinda weird..

I want to accomplish that my button or url http://fapperd.nl/onze-website/ works. As you can take a look on my website, click on the forum button. It's working, click on the onze website button it gives a 404.

Yes they are in different folders. But I made a page just for the button with the permalink fapperd.nl/forum and placed a map forum in my public html so the database/server will search for forum when i click on the button forum and gives the page(the map) forum. That's something I am proud of that worked (lol).

But now I understand that when I have a permalink postname and the server/database searches for forum in my public_html and finds the map, that he can't find the map Onze-website because it does not excist in my ftp client, its in the mySQL server, can you still understand till here? Or do I need to explain some more things, I would love to. If something is not clear(I am new to mySQL php and all those other things) please tell me so I can read my post back and give some extra info.

Some extra about the steps for the forum:
I wanted to install a forum on my wordpress website, just to see if it could work. So I made a page (with Wordpress) that i called forum. The url for it was fapperd.nl/forum. Now I thought of that when I place something in my public_html its fapperd.nl/whatiplaceinmypublichtml, so I placed a phpBB map in my public_html called forum. So when you click on the button in my website(forum), it's not the wordpress page that you see, but the phpBB forum. That's something I am happy with that worked, it was trying alot of hours how this exactly worked.

As I explained earlier I made a page that's called "Onze website", with the permalink fapperd.nl/onze-website. But now it gives a 404, I do understand a little bit why, but on the other hand why it doesn't just search for more pages that's called onze-website in my whole database...

OK, I did not visit your website previously, but now I have.

Can you tell me, the "Onze-Website" that gives you a 404 not found error, what is it supposed to be? A wordpress post/page or perhaps something else?

If it is a wordpress page/post can you open that post or page in your editor, and see the link to it in the top part of your editor, and paste that link here?

Everything is solved, in one way or another my permalinks were NOT oke... I didn't have any .htaccess file so I just made one and leave it empty made it 666, changed the permalinks, changed it back to 644..

Now everything works, thanks for helping me anyway :)

Glad it is solved, heel leuk as you would call it?

What files i need to change to 644 or things like that in my wordpress? Because a lot of my themes I made writable for myself to play with it, do I need to change these back to 644 or something like that? Because all my themes are on 777 now.

Not a good idea to have stuff at 777 chmod. The only one, as far as I can think that should be 777 would be the path to the image upload folder. All others should be at least 755.

Best is to change the 777's to at least 755 one by one and see after each change if there was a problem accessing it via http

Also, make sure you do not have any install.php files in your public_html directory.

in my public_html there is no such thing as install.php
Oke i am going to do that what you said, just make everything 755. One by one wouldn't that last days?

You can cmod them 755 all at once, if you want, and then as you surf your site and finds a 404 or other access error, go to that file/folder and change it back.

Thanks for the advice, that's what I did my ftp client is still doing his work. We'll see and wait. Thanks for helping me :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.