ok so after some time i can do some simple reg exp but this one is confusing me. I currently am testing my reg exp on regexpal.com but php wants to work differently

this is what im using

preg_match_all('/{(\w+)(([:]\w+)*)}/', $page_content, $matches, PREG_SET_ORDER);

foreach($matches as $match) {
			$src = $match[1];

echo ($match[0])?$match[0]."/":'';
			echo ($match[1])?$match[1]."/":'';
			echo ($match[2])?$match[2]."/":'';
			echo ($match[3])?$match[3]."/":'';
			echo ($match[4])?$match[4]."/":'';
			echo '<br />';

}

i am trying to match
{asda:asdasad:asdasd:asd3ea:666}

but im getting
/asda/:asdasad:asdasd:asd3ea:666/:666/

need to get
asda/:asdasad/:asdasd/:asd3ea/:666

i need to be to put these items into an array which i can do only if i can get the items by themselves.

this is what i have tried
{(\w+)([:]\w+)?}
{(\w+)(([:]\w+)+)?}
{(\w+)([:]\w+)+}
{(\w+)([:]\w+)([:]\w+)([:]\w+)([:]\w+)}

the last one works only if i have the 5 different items. but not all the items are going to have 5 items. they range from the first item up to the 5th.

i just dont understand why this works on the example of the website but in php it hates me.

thanks in advance

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pritaeas
{(\w+)(:\w+)+}

What do you need to put in an array ? Only the words ? Can't you use explode() ?

Edited by pritaeas: n/a

{(\w+)(:\w+)+}

What do you need to put in an array ? Only the words ? Can't you use explode() ?

The expression you gave me didnt work either.

What i am doing is grabbing all the "template items" within content like
{asda:asdasad:asdasd:asd3ea:666}
Then i need to take each item (in this case things after :) and put them into an array for later use. then put that into a bigger array with the arrays of other template items
ex:

array(
array(0=>asda, 1=>:asdasad, 2=>:asdasd, 3=>asd3ea, 4=>:666)
array(0=>button, 1=>:left)
);

But i need it to read all the template items correctly whether it have 1 or 5 different items within itself.

the expression that you gave me only outputs

Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => {asda:asdasad:asdasd:asd3ea:666} [1] => asda [2] => :666 ) )

i need

array(0=>asda, 1=>:asdasad, 2=>:asdasd, 3=>asd3ea, 4=>:666)

Edited by itisnot_me: n/a

I think you should just remove the brackets from the returned value 0, and then use explode() that value using the colon into an array.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.