Hello All,

I have come up with a social networking website which should support chat functionality like Facebook.
My intentions are as follows :-

1.It should be dynamic that is the chat window should appear only when any friend is online else it should remain hidden somewhere.

2.Could it be possible to develope a chat window through C# and ASP.Net alone and not using silverlight and ajax or javascripts ?

Any relevant help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello

I think the best way is to use third party components already available. There are some very good ones out there. For a website that i developed misternmisses.com i used the component on www.mangochat.net and it works really great. Its easy to integrate as well.

one problem i faced when i was trying to make my own was the performance that was becoming a bottle neck at all time. Not sure how Mango Chat works behind the scenes but it does a great job.

Hope this helps. There are other components as well which you can search by searching for ASP.NET Chat Control on google.

you can make your own chat application using asp.net

Thanks for all your replies.
I will surely try all the suggessted ways and really appreciate your kind help for this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.