I need someone to please advice me, which one is better in designing a website, dreamweaver or the CMS(Content management system.)

Thanks for your usual contribution.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Dw is an ide. Use both if you like

Dw is an ide. Use both if you like

OP always posts useless questions! May be s/he is a kid!

Member Avatar for diafol

Quite possibly ev - even probably. However, I'm in a contemplative mood (probably the Guinness!) and prepared to venture further...

Anyway Dreamweaver is a fancy, very expensive Integrated Development Environment. Although purist programmers usually extract the urine out of DW users, I find it very good- but there again, I've got a 'free' copy of one of the Adobe Suites through my work. I would never pay that much for software otherwise.

If you are looking for an IDE or turbo-charged Text Editors, you have a plethora of options, including:

Eclipse
Aptana
Notepad++
Bluefish

Some have good FTP support, but I usually go for Filezilla FTP (free) as it gives me a good level of control.

CMSes on the other hand can be thought of a standard way of producing template-driven pages, while hiding the intricacy of both back-end and frond-end aspects of the site.

I'm sure that real programmers or Wikipedia can give you cast iron definitions of each, but that's my approach.

I've used CMSes like Joomla, Drupal and SimpleCMS in the past - they're great for certain projects, but most of my bespoke work has been centred around original code, often with a templating engine (e.g. RainTPL or Smarty), but without the interference of a heavyweight CMS.

But that's just me.

DW is really expensive but even if I was that rich I could not buy it. I better use NB or Aptana (No, not PDT) or buy any other IDE that is not DW-ish. After roaming here and there I have settled with gEdit and some few plugins. It is lightweight. I have started to roll my sleeves and coding my own editor then IDE. I will sell it but not as DW and will release the free community version.
That will happen if my plan to take over DW will not get thwarted with time that seems to be against me all the time ;)

Member Avatar for diafol
I will sell it but not as DW and will release the free community version.

Don't be a sap ev, fleece those good-for-nothing wannabe programmers who expect everything to be for free. Sod 'em. Freebooting, freeware script downloading jockeys should be made to pay for their behaviour. Charge them a mint. Bloomin' parasites...

While you're at it, put me out of my misery. Will your community version be bait or will it be great?

I will sell it but not as DW and will release the free community version.

Don't be a sap ev, fleece those good-for-nothing wannabe programmers who expect everything to be for free. Sod 'em. Freebooting, freeware script downloading jockeys should be made to pay for their behaviour. Charge them a mint. Bloomin' parasites...

While you're at it, put me out of my misery. Will your community version be bait or will it be great?

I will charge for my time and may be to pay few dev who will join me. I plan community version to be some sort of working but with no advanced features. I mean it will be good enough to replace amny heavy IDEs but missiong some features and limited to non commercials. It will be actually good enough to do it. I have not planned what will and will not be included since I'm still putting things together.

What I can say is, there are few PHP IDE because it is pain even to make small editor, let alone tons of features needed. But Once I get time (I have three or four projects to wor on) I will start working on it. Sooner or later ;)

Member Avatar for diafol

ev - will the IDE be online or os-based? If os, I assume it will be written in some flavour of c?

Will it/can it be better that Bluefish or the others. If not, don't waste your time.

Give me a shout when you start.

ev - will the IDE be online or os-based? If os, I assume it will be written in some flavour of c?

Will it/can it be better that Bluefish or the others. If not, don't waste your time.

Give me a shout when you start.

Desktop based. Many IDE out there are generic and good ones are windows only, thanks to M$ monopolism. I'm on Linux and no non Java PHP IDE is available. After making up IDE with gEdit and plugins I thought it would be wonderful to roll one that will run on Windows Mac and Linux. Also PHP integration like remote FTP, GIT, Web preview and other *PHP specific* stuffs (did I mentio XDebug) without resorting to resource hungry like Eclipse/NB. So what is missing is really IDE for PHP that is cross platform. Database integration is nice!

I have already tested all the basics to get me started with the editor which is a core of the whole app, but when will pre alpha be, I'm not sure :)

I will give a PM once I got somewhere...and no it is not C it is her offspring, C++!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.