Hi there.
I have a simple textarea tag built and also a very simple script which inserts the text of the text value into textarea . Please copy and paste that to understand what I mean . And when you submit send button the new inserted line pushes all others down . I want exactly the opposite . So when you send the text it will appear from the bottom and will push the rest of lines UP(like normal in ordinary live chats). And I also want to uppear a scroll on the right using which i can move it up and see the text that hasve been inserted before.

<html>
    <head>    
        <div id="json"></div>
        <style> #textarea { background-color:#F3F3F3;}</style>
    </head>
    <body onload="insertMessages()">   
        <script type="text/javascript"> 
            function send(){

document.getElementById("textarea").value+=document.getElementById("text").value+'\n'; 

}
        </script>

<TEXTAREA id="textarea" COLS="80" ROWS="20"></TEXTAREA><br/><br/>
        <input type="text" id="text"  size="96" > 
        <input type="button" value="Send"  onclick="send()"> 
    </body>
</html>
Contributors
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by MartinRinehart

If you write one long line that does everything it's impossible to debug, even with a good tool like Firebug. Break it up:

//bad: doc.getEById( 'id here' ).value += doc.getAnotherEById.value + ...;

// try:
var ta = document.getElementById( 'textarea' );
alert( ta );
var ta_value = ta.value;
alert( ta_value);
var text = document.getElementById( 'text' );
alert( text );
var text_value = text.value;
alert( text_value );
ta_value += text_value + '\n';
alert( ta_value );
ta.value = ta_value;

Errors tend to fall right out at you when you work this way. It takes a bit more typing, but it's way faster. When you are debugged, just comment out the alerts, but leave them there for next time.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.