Hi,

I want to create Arabic to English dictionary with having pronunciation feature for the English words. How it is possible to implement using PHP and MySQL?

Thank you,

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

On the administration side you need a form to create an instance for each word associated with the English translation and an audio file that can be mp3, wav or ogg, depends on you. Something like an email an his attachments.

Here I would use two tables for the words, one for the Arabic and one for the English ones. Then a third table where you register only the id from the two previous tables, will connect the words, because you can have one-to-many correlations: "water" or "bread" have many terms in Arabic. For example:

mysql> select id,word from arabic_dict; select id,word from english_dict;
+----+--------+
| id | word   |
+----+--------+
|  1 | بحر     |
|  2 | ماء    |
+----+--------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

+----+-------+
| id | word  |
+----+-------+
|  1 | water |
+----+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from ArEn;
+-----------+------------+
| arabic_id | english_id |
|         1 |          1 |
|         2 |          1 |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

On the user side you need a simple interface to get all the data associated with a word. You have a lot to do, good luck! :)

Member Avatar for diafol

are you after sound files or written phonetics? Google Translate has a feature for pronunciation. I wonder if you can use the API to use it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.