Member Avatar for Ababo

Hi everyone. I've only really just started using php and I've been trying to use it in conjunction with mysql. I keep getting an error though when trying to access the result set returned by performing a query on the database. I've performed queries on the database outwith php, and it correctly returned the correct details. Here's the code for it:

<?php
$dbh=mysql_connect ("localhost", "myusername", "mypassword") or die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db ("ababoc_filmlistings");

$sql = 'SELECT DISTINCT title FROM Listing LIMIT 0, 30 ';
$rs = mysql_query($sql);

$row = mysql_fetch_row($rs); // line 24
echo $row[0];

?>

but I end up with the error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/ababoc/public_html/test/index.php on line 24

I'm really not sure what I could be doing wrong here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I think definitly the problem is in SQL statment , check the name of the table and its fields , try adding some debugging code

Member Avatar for Ababo

I think definitly the problem is in SQL statment , check the name of the table and its fields , try adding some debugging code

I'm pretty positive that the SQL statement is ok. I've tried a number of statements instead of the one I gave, all of which worked when entered directly via phpMyAdmin. I fear that it might be something silly though. That's what it always turns out to be. :-|

All I can do is expand on what ammcom already told you. Do something like this:

if (!$dbh = mysql_connect ("localhost", "myusername", "mypassword")) {
  die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
}

if (!$ret = mysql_select_db ("ababoc_filmlistings")) {
  die("db selection failed: ".$mysql_error());
}

$sql = 'SELECT DISTINCT title FROM Listing LIMIT 0, 30 ';
echo "<hr />".$sql."<hr />\n";

if (!$rs = mysql_query($sql)) {
  die("db query failed: ".mysql_error());
}

if (!$row = mysql_fetch_row($rs)) {
  die("mysql fetch failed: ".mysql_error());
}

echo $row[0];

If you get an error regarding the query failing, copy and pasted the SQL statement and run it directly against the database--making sure you choose "ababoc_filmlistings" as your db.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.