Hi everyone i dont know how to get the already filled value of radio buttons from sql using html/php here is my code but its giving error

<?php include("../includes/config.php"); ?>
<?php
 if ($_SESSION["isadmin"])
   {

$con=mysql_connect($dbserver,$dbusername,$dbpassword);
if (!$con) { die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error()); }

mysql_select_db($dbname, $con);
$accountid=$_GET["id"];
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM accounts WHERE (id='".$accountid."')");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
    {
       $id=$row['id'];
       $firstname = $row['firstname'];
       $lastname = $row['lastname'];
       $email=$row['email'];
       $type=$row['type'];
    }
mysql_close($con);
?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>
<title>Edit User</title>
<link rel="StyleSheet" href="../admin/css/style.css" type="text/css" media="screen">
</head>

<body>
<?php include("../admin/includes/header.php"); ?>
<?php include("../admin/includes/nav.php"); ?>
<?php include("../admin/includes/aside.php"); ?>
<div id="maincontent">

<div id="breadcrumbs">
        <a href="">Home</a> >
         <a href="">Manage Users</a> >
         <a href="">List Users</a> >
         Edit User
    </div>
    <h2>Edit User</h2>

<form method="post" action="users-edit-action.php">
    <input type="hidden" value="<?php echo $accountid; ?>" name="id" />
    <label>Email/Username:</label><input type="text" name="email" value="<?php echo $email; ?>" /><br /><br />
    <label>Password:</label><input type="password" name="password" value="<?php echo $password;?>" /><br /><br />
    <label>First Name:</label><input type="text" name="firstname" value="<?php echo $firstname; ?>" /><br /><br />
    <label>Last Name:</label><input type="text" name="lastname" value="<?php echo $lastname; ?>" /><br /><br />
    <label>Type:</label><br />
    <input type="radio" name="type" value="<?php echo $type; ?>" /> Student<br />
    <input type="radio" name="type" value="<?php echo $type; ?>" /> Teacher<br />

<input type="submit" value="Edit" />
    </form>

</div>

</body>
<?php include("../admin/includes/footer.php"); ?>
</html>
<?php
   }
    else
    {
        header("Location: ".$fullpath."login/unauthorized.php");

}
?>

thanks in advance

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Riu 2009

error it gives after pressing edit button is this

Notice: Undefined index: type in C:\xampp\htdocs\project\admin\users-edit-action.php on line 7

and this id the script on which it gives the error..i think error is due to wrong placement of values in radio buttons..

<?php include("../includes/config.php");?>
<?php
$id=$_POST["id"];
$firstname=$_POST["firstname"];
$lastname=$_POST["lastname"];
$email=$_POST["email"];
$type=$_POST["type"];

$con=mysql_connect($dbserver,$dbusername,$dbpassword);
if (!$con) { die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error()); }

mysql_select_db($dbname, $con);
$query=("UPDATE accounts SET firstname='".$firstname."' , lastname='".$lastname." email='".$email."' type='".$type."' WHERE (id='".$id."')");
$result = mysql_query($query);
echo "User has been updated Successfully!!";
mysql_close($con);
?>

I am wondering if your name="type" is causing a conflict as type is used as part of a form elements details. Have you tried changing it to something else and see what happens?

Also, are you sure that one of the radio buttons is being selected?

<input type="radio" name="type" value="<?php echo $type; ?>" /> Student<br />
<input type="radio" name="type" value="<?php echo $type; ?>" /> Teacher<br />

Why are you giving both radios the same value? It can't discrominate between them. I also suggest making one a default with checked="checked".

yup i know tht this is the wrong way but i cant understand how would i take the value from data base??? as i want to edit the already filled record then it should be checked already...how can i do that?? i mean how can i get the value of that type whether it is S or T..so that i could edit and change the type when i want to edit it..

Like diafol said (off topic:when did you change your username?) the radio button names need to be unique.

Ipso facto. <- that's latin BTW.

So, you radio buttons need to have unique names!

Now from your PHP file it is quite tedious to go through each name and check if it isset();

So we create a grouped radio button with the [] syntax in the HTML. That way we can just loop through using the foreach syntax.

Edited by iamthwee

@diafol well i want to retrieve the value from database.. how would i do that..the values are uniqe as thay are coming from database, i dont know how to check which value is selected in database to update it further..

Like this:

<input type="radio" name="type" value="Student" <?php if ($type=='Student') { echo 'checked'; } ?> /> Student<br />
<input type="radio" name="type" value="Teacher" <?php if ($type=='Teacher') { echo 'checked'; } ?> /> Teacher<br />
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.