My team has been doing Java for a long time. We are switching to Ruby. We are finding that Ruby has limitations and that we have to do certain things in Java. I'm trying to find a way to call Java code from Ruby. I'm searching Google and such, and I always end up on a page describing how to call Java code from JRuby. That's not what I want.

Then I start to wonder why we're NOT using JRuby?! Instinctively, I'm thinking Java and Ruby is what we're doing. JRuby is the best of both worlds. What am I missing?

I've asked around a little bit and I've heard a few negative things about JRuby, such as memory issues or diminishing oracle/community support, or whatever. Is JRuby a dud? Or is it viable for real-world, large-scale, mission critical apps, the way Ruby/Rails supposedly is? Is there a reason that we should be coding in Ruby AND Java instead of just going with JRuby? Can we not use Rails if we do JRuby? I mean, why wouldn't you want access to all the comprehensive features in Java, combined with the ease/fun of Ruby?!

Thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Have you take a look at this site yet? Not sure what limitation you are talking about. The site seems to explain quite well for thsoe who are from Java to go to Ruby.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.